Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC5982,5985 and 5981

derrickf

This attractive triplet of galaxies was captured over multiple nights - generally exasperating conditions meant that many of the subs were taken through mist/fog and about half of them with a >40% illuminated moon. Pixinsight handled the resulting complex gradients in the stacked images pretty well, I think. Because of the mist and moonlight there were not only significant gradients but the background sky level in individual subs with the same filter ranged from 500 to 2500ADU so the control afforded by PI's image integration process was very helpful.

Details: 12" RC at F/8 on Mesu200, Atik383L+, EFW2 and Atik OAG+LodestarX2
L=11 x 600s unbinned
R=G=B=7 x 600s each filter, binnned 2x2

Despite the relatively small amount of data I was able to collect and the poor conditions, I am reasonably pleased with the result - NGC5985 (the topmost spiral galaxy) is one of my favourite small spirals and there are dozens of tiny, faint background galaxies in the field. If you click on the image in the post you can see a larger version of the image by clicking on the fullsize button.

NGC5982_SGL4.thumb.jpg.bfd66fa5dae3f01a4

Derrick

Archived