Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Doing things backwards!

FINALLY ordered my 130PM from FLO. After thoroughly reading lots of info here at SGL, making my red torch, bought my copy of Turn Left at Orion (what a fantastic book), printed out my Lunar 100 and even got a Celestron eyepiece set from the "For Sale" section here I've actually ordered my first ever 'scope. Apologies for the 100% cloud cover that is bound to result from next week onwards, it's all my fault. I realise I'm probably doing this at the worst possible time of year for astronomy but that's typical of me!

Hoorah!

The 130pm is a good weapon of choice.

You will have a lot of fun with it. Just start out with the easy stuff to avoid dissapointment like the moon, and the brighter DSO's.

I would stick to the 4 or 5 'telescope' rating in Turn Left at Orion for a while, even some of those will test your finding powers.

I do not think you're doing this at the wrong time of the year.

Ok the next month will be hard, as it's light till late. But from beginning of August, it's dark at 10. The evenings are warm.

And you have a handfull of GREAT objects to find that are both big and bright. You can hone you star hopping skils. Get to see great objects and not freeze your bit's off.

Packing up after a frustrating night / evening is so much easier when it's warm.

As the evenings draw in, it gets colder (and better), the familiar stuff is still visible, then comes the new stuff the learn gradually.

The Autumn is an excellent time of year.

Ant

Ant

I have the same scope, also my first. You'll get some wonderful close ups of the moon with it. Saturn is breathtaking and I managed Jupiter for the first time the other night. Could make out the bands and the Galilean moons. DSO's so far have seemed a little faint, maybe due to lack of dark skies this time of year.

Great scope though, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thanks all, I will be starting off with the moon (I can find that) but once I get a bit more confident I shall no doubt be asking lots of questions! You're right about the time of year Ant, it wouldn't be much fun blundering about in pitch darkness when I don't know what I'm doing! Hope I don't end up having too many late nights and fall asleep at work

Archived