NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quick USB question

Marky1973

I ran foul of the imaging gremlins last night when I was going to play with my ZWO camera and the moon.

The camera wouldn't play ball, even when uninstalled and reinstalled with new drivers. The camera is connected to a laptop with a 5m USB Extension, so i took this out of the equation and plugged it straight into the laptop and then I got an image, even without the drivers installed.

I know USB cables can be problematic and it is best not to have them too long or too many, but I need something in the mix. It is the same USB port (2.0) that I have been using for months, so am guessing there is a fault with the cable, or the camera just doesn't like it and I have been lucky to date.

So, my question is, when it comes to USB cables, what would be considered a good quality cable? I'm already sceptical as I get frustrated by the HDMI debates, so don't want to spend a fortune - but wondered if it is just the same as HDMI and a well-made £10 cable will work just as well as one at  5 x the price. Would I be better off spending a bit more on a 3m cable perhaps? Or looking at repeater cables?

Cheers

Mark

I've cried over USB issues....

I use Lindy cables and never had an issue with them, but they are probably no better/worse than others. I do use a 12v powered USB hub however, both in the obsy and in the field and this makes things MUCH better.

1 hour ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I also had some problems with the supplied cables, and also bought some more expensive ones (gold-plated contacts, the works), and never had problems since. Yes you pay a few quid more, but compared to the rest of the kit that is child's play.

Might be better to replace the power cable from the box with a longer, better quality one then perhaps?

1 hour ago, John78 said:

Long cheap cables will be terrible - you'll need good quality cables so the resistance is low and the shielding is good.  Its a high speed data cable after all.

The problem is, what is "cheap"? The cable was branded £10 cable - which is cheap if you compare it to a £100 cable, but it doesn't necessarily mean it is poorer quality - can be a minefield trying to figure out what the best option is - will start looking for something a little better.

Cheers

9 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I meant the USB cable supplied with the camera. Replacing that with a more upmarket (not £100  by a long chalk) cable worked wonders

Sorry, yeah I just presumed the USB cable that comes in the box provides the power.... I'll have a look tonight.

5 hours ago, Marky1973 said:

The problem is, what is "cheap"? The cable was branded £10 cable - which is cheap if you compare it to a £100 cable, but it doesn't necessarily mean it is poorer quality - can be a minefield trying to figure out what the best option is - will start looking for something a little better.

Cheers

http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/103722-hama-0053731-lead-usb2-0-a-b-gold-plated-5m.html

high speed, gold plated, double shielded, 5m long, cheap.

Archived