Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Choosing a Telescope for my nephews birthday in 2 weeks time (he's going to be 6)

It is not too much money at £45 pounds, it won't show any CA I guess the Moon will look great and it takes 1.25 eyepieces and comes with three to start with.

It looks like what a telescope could be expected to look like at 6 years old. He'll need to be supervised in use and would be essential during the day.

Celestron powerseeker 60 AZ is very similar and gets reviewed on amazon. FLO did carry it at Christmas but are out of stock.

The difference is price but I haven't seen either to know if one has a better element on the refractor than the other.

49 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

It is not too much money at £45 pounds, it won't show any CA I guess the Moon will look great and it takes 1.25 eyepieces and comes with three to start with.

It looks like what a telescope could be expected to look like at 6 years old. He'll need to be supervised in use and would be essential during the day.

God yeah definitely! I've mentioned to my brother I'm worried invade he looks at the sun. He said it will always be supervised. Thanks for your concern bud

P

Just my opinion - the scope is fine for a kids entry level - but I think a 6yr old will struggle with the mount and tripod which are very flaky. It'll shake and wobble all over the place and the views could be counter productive to encouraging interest. You might want to consider something like this one which is much more stable, larger aperture, cheaper, and carries a recommendation from IYA2009. And it's small enough for a 6yr old child to handle independently.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/celestron-firstscope-76mm-telescope.html

Hope that helps by offering you an alternative. :)

49 minutes ago, brantuk said:

Just my opinion - the scope is fine for a kids entry level - but I think a 6yr old will struggle with the mount and tripod which are very flaky. It'll shake and wobble all over the place and the views could be counter productive to encouraging interest. You might want to consider something like this one which is much more stable, larger aperture, cheaper, and carries a recommendation from IYA2009. And it's small enough for a 6yr old child to handle independently.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/celestron-firstscope-76mm-telescope.html

Hope that helps by offering you an alternative. :)

Thanks branktuk, I actually was looking at that also, but didn't think about the shaking and wobbling of the other one I was think of getting. That's a very good point actually. Thanks ??

Paul

I tried helping two 20-something newbies at a public star party get one of those department store level scopes to work, and it was an exercise in frustration.  The mount was wobbly and wouldn't stay where you pointed it, you had to overshoot.  The focuser was abysmal as were the eyepieces.  I found a bright star or planet and sighted it in along the tube (no unit power finder on it) and brought it to a blurry best focus.  I recommended they write it off as a learning experience and tour the field looking for something actually useable.

I second the Firstscope 76 recommendation.  As the Orion (USA) FunScope 76mm here in the states, it gets good reviews.  It's sturdy and easy to use.  See if there's a UK version of it with the red dot finder or else you'll be adding your own to it.

34 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I tried helping two 20-something newbies at a public star party get one of those department store level scopes to work, and it was an exercise in frustration.  The mount was wobbly and wouldn't stay where you pointed it, you had to overshoot.  The focuser was abysmal as were the eyepieces.  I found a bright star or planet and sighted it in along the tube (no unit power finder on it) and brought it to a blurry best focus.  I recommended they write it off as a learning experience and tour the field looking for something actually useable.

I second the Firstscope 76 recommendation.  As the Orion (USA) FunScope 76mm here in the states, it gets good reviews.  It's sturdy and easy to use.  See if there's a UK version of it with the red dot finder or else you'll be adding your own to it.

That's almost the same as what brantuk suggests. Thanks dude. Jesus man.......I'm still working out what I need and now for my 6yrs nephew! Lol

Literally the same scope branded slightly differently.  You can even see where the unit finder would mount on the Celestron FirstScope in exactly the same place and manner as the FunScope.  Both CFS eyepieces are 2 element designs (Huygens and SR (a type of Ramsden)) while both of the FunScope eyepieces are 3 element designs (probably Kellners), so the FS ones should yield a wider field and a sharper image.  The 10mm will  be much easier to use than the 4mm included in the CFS as well due to much longer eye relief.  Both FS eyepieces have eye guards where the CFS eyepieces don't.  Add a decent used 2X barlow to the kit someday (Christmas?), and he'll be all set.  Download a planetarium app such as Sky Map to a smartphone, and he'll be good to go out under the stars with some supervision.

Let us know how your nephew likes it.  I wish such a scope existed 40+ years ago when I was a little kid dreaming about cruising the stars with a telescope.

Yup - the more I look at it the more the Funscope seems better all round - very good find there LouisD. I might even get one myself just for a bit of chance viewing when the clouds are iffy, or when I don't feel like getting a full kit out.

Let us know how your nephew gets on with it pblackwell - I'm sure he'll love it. :)

It's ordered. Done!

David from eyesonthesky.com also gave it praise and great value for money.

Will let you guys know in a few weeks how my nephew gets on (and his sister will love it as well !)  :icon_biggrin:

....I'm actually really excited!

Louis D and brantuk thank you both.

Archived