Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binoviewer upgrade - bigger prisms - big advantage !! ??

Evening all.  Currently have a set of BV's  ( Baader / Celestron unit ) and I use a pair of TV  8 - 24 zooms.  Very happy with them but am mulling over a move UP to a pair of  Baader Mark IV / V or maybe Denks.  Hoping to combine with longer focal length EP's which will work without vignetting.

As usual, budget is part of the process and wondered if anyone had gone down this route and could comment on the step up they surely / may have  encountered.   Was there a big improvement or more like, i'm thinking,  a small increment, with what the larger prisms made to the viewing experience. Noting the fact a pair of Denks or Mark IV /V's are at least, twice the cost of "standard units" that many people on here own.

Would note my skies arent the best. Who's are ?? I have light pollution from the conurbation of Manchester to contend with.

Any thorts and views most appreciated.

Thanks in advance as always.    John

Hi John... I thought you BV were a step up above the normal anyway as in larger prisms that the normal offerings? They certainly didn't look like the standard offeringsize ie WO ones..

Ta

Steve

I have several sets of "ordinary" binoviewers and a Denk. The Denk has larger prisms but I can't say there is much optical difference. The main difference is mechanical, the Denks are much more solid but weigh a considerable lot more.

Hi Guys. Appreciate the replies.

Steve. Good to hear from you.  Trust all is well with you  ??  I saw a pair of Baader IV's on ABS and the cogs started to whirr a bit.  Cost v Increase in performance was my question in a nutshell. Did you get a pair too a while ago. Sure I saw a post from you related to BV's. 

Peter.  Question answered. Thank you very much.  Your words have cured my curiosity. I am happy with my current set of BV's. .

Guess I can look to be spending dosh in other areas  LOL

Thanks again , both.   John

Hi John, yes thanks all is well, and I've dried out now too which is a bonus! Yourself, all Well I hope?

Yeah I managed to get hold of a WO pair, which have been really good in the Frac's.. I've struggled keeping magnification down as the 1.6x GPC that came with the set didn't quiet give me enough in focus.  I've since tried the nose piece of a 2x basic barlow which worked a treat but I think gave me near 200x and also invested in a baader classic Q barlow for the 1.3x nose piece which I think gave me a disappointing 220x (hoped it would be lower).. I've just invested in a 2.6x GPC to see if that helps brings the mag down in the big frac..

Other than that love them on moon and Jupiter so far.. will be watching with eager anticipation what the new Baader maxbright will be like...

Ta

Steve

I like my WO binoviewer, too, and see no reason to "upgrade". With its supplied 20mm widefield eyepieces and 1.6X Barlow it gives excellent views of the Sun ( with filtered 'scope ), Moon and planets. The WO is also good on the brighter deep sky objects, e.g. the Orion Nebula and the Double Cluster in Perseus. We don't need expensive gear to get decent results, unless of course, we do actual research that requires the utmost quality.

Agree all round. The views through my BV's are in no way shoddy but as usual with this hobby, you wonder what gains can be made re your kit inventory. 

Steve. Hope the mags come down a bit for you.  Luckily my BV's seem a bit more forgiving rev the focus travel. Both my fracs work nicely and my SCT  is user friendly. 

John 

Archived