Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M37, M36, M38, M35...I CAN DO THIS!

iPeace

Yes! I'm starting not only to find stuff, but also to identify it! This is great...

...but it really helps to have the best sky atlas available - and for me, that's a Linux laptop running Stellarium (in night vision mode). Having configured the program to simulate my scope and eyepieces, in "ocular mode" I can see on the screen exactly what I should be seeing through the scope, and can nudge accordingly...and for me at least, it's still enough of a challenge so that it doesn't feel like using GoTo (which I never have done, so who's to say...). I do have S&T's Pocket Sky Atlas, but it hasn't proven detailed enough for me at this early stage. And maybe this is my happy medium between either being close but clueless or just letting a GoTo do the actual work - while I miss out on the fun.

This is helping me learn my way around the sky a lot faster. If things go well, I might even do a Messier Marathon this year...or at least at Bino Level...

Thank you all for your support.

"You're welcome" said the scope.

Great report.  Finding the atlas and method that works for you is key, and it sounds like you've cracked it.  Interestingly I've spent most of my observing life using reflectors and so my mind is wired to turn things upside down.  But recently I've started to use fracs with star diagonals, and I've found it really hard to adjust my thinking to understand the orientation of the field.  It's like starting from scratch!

Keep up the good work - sounds like you're doing a great job.

Paul

Archived