Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stellarium images missing

I have used Stellarium for a while and been very happy with it.

I noticed last night that when I ask it to look at some specific objects there is no detailed image to display - they are targets I haven't looked at before.

If I ask it to show me M42, M31 etc there is an image - correctly showing my camera frame size etc but on some targets - Monkeyhead neb, Cone neb etc there is no image visible.

Have I missed something in 'settings' or maybe there aren't images for all targets???

Any ideas???

Many targets do not have images, I think it is due to legal rights on images, Stellarium being open source, I guess that images should be released under some sort of CC license to be included.

There is a way to add your own images, but it's not straight forward. I thought of proposing some ideas for this to authors (even helping out if I find time). Coupe of ideas came to my mind: There should be additional app/feature to manipulate images data (import / export and such). Images should be stored in 16bit/32bit format (this is a bit heavy on storage space) - so better estimate of visibility / dynamic range can be given. I often wondered how object might look thru eyepiece, not just size and position but how easy to spot it would be given aperture, transparency and LP. Higher dynamic range would help a lot in this regard. Other thing that came to mind is to setup some kind of web/cloud service that amateur astrophotographers could upload their work to, and other users of stellarium would be able to download their images to display graphics. Ratings and all the bells and whistles included.

There used to be an image pack quite a few versions ago that had a number of additional images but it is no longer compatible.

It is tricky adding your own, very convoluted and a pain. If I get some time I will try to write some software to automate it. But by the time I get around to it they will probably change the file format.

As I say before:

Not all DSO in Stellarium has textures - as fact we have two troubles here: 1) no texture for DSO or 2) texture for DSO is exists but not free.

You can try using unstable edition of Stellarium with DSS support. Or you can help us added textures for DSO's.

17 hours ago, StuartJPP said:

There used to be an image pack quite a few versions ago that had a number of additional images but it is no longer compatible.

It is tricky adding your own, very convoluted and a pain. If I get some time I will try to write some software to automate it. But by the time I get around to it they will probably change the file format.

Technical details and links to software for automation adding new textures you may find here.

P.S. Latest 4 textures from Carole Pope was added with help software by Peter Vasey.

Archived