Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Evo C9.25 Best EP's ?

Hello.

I have a 40mm celestron plosl at the moment with a meade 3x and 2x barlow. Used all 3 and they seem to go very well together. not stacked the barlows.

I'm considering getting a 6.3 focal reducer to go with the 40mm

I know the scope isn't for wide views but what would be the best EP's to accompany my 9.25. I'd like advice on the best wide field view I could get using the 9.25.

And again, Thanks.

I used a 2" 40mm TMB Paragon in my Celestron C8 as my first true wide field EP, after installing a 2" visual back and a 2" star diagonal. It completely outclassed the 1.25" fitting 36mm Plossl combined with a 0.63x reducer I used until that date for wide field. The true FOV was larger, with a smaller exit pupil (so better for LP situations). Clones of the TMB Paragon 40mm are now sold as TS Paragons and SW Aero 40mm. Great and comfortable EP that does not break the bank. I now use the legendary Nagler 31mm T5 (a.k.a. Panzerfaust) or if I need an even wider field the Vixen LVW 42mm

If you don't need a focal reducer for photography, a better option - as Michael suggested - is to replace the very average Celestron 1.25" diagonal with a 2" dialectric (offered by many brands, best value is the £75 Skywatcher version sold by First Light Optics - which also comes with a 1.25" adapter so you can continue using your Celestron 40mm and all the other 1.25" eyepieces you will buy in the future even if you don't expect to at the moment?) - and getting a nice 2" wide field eyepiece. There are lots of wonderful and affordable options out there - do some research on SGL and you'll be able to work out the best choice for you and your budget.

Once you've done that, you will need to consider a couple more powerful eyepieces for the moon and planets - after all, that is what your telescope does best. And don't wait too long - currently Jupiter is at its best positioning in Leo and Mars is getting larger by the week......

2 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I used a 2" 40mm TMB Paragon in my Celestron C8 as my first true wide field EP, after installing a 2" visual back and a 2" star diagonal. It completely outclassed the 1.25" fitting 36mm Plossl combined with a 0.63x reducer I used until that date for wide field. The true FOV was larger, with a smaller exit pupil (so better for LP situations). Clones of the TMB Paragon 40mm are now sold as TS Paragons and SW Aero 40mm. Great and comfortable EP that does not break the bank. I now use the legendary Nagler 31mm T5 (a.k.a. Panzerfaust) or if I need an even wider field the Vixen LVW 42mm

on astro tools the LVW 42mm will show me the same as my 40mm plos with the reducer... am I missing something? Thanks.

14 minutes ago, Theninjagecko said:

Are 2" EP's also good for planetary viewing? 

What the 2" format delivers is a much wider field of view than the 1.25" size. For higher powers generally folks use 1.25" eyepieces. The 2" diagonals have an adapter for the smaller eyepiece size.

3 minutes ago, John said:

What the 2" format delivers is a much wider field of view than the 1.25" size. For higher powers generally folks use 1.25" eyepieces. The

2" diagonals have an adapter for the smaller eyepiece size.

In your scope (9.25" SCT) the 40mm plossl in the 1.25" fitting will be showing a true field of .73 of a degree but the 42mm LVW will be showing 1.29 degrees.

so the 2" 42mm shows about the same as the 40 with the reducer, but I'm guessing the reducer will degrade the visual quality and more to do if I want to go high power by having to remove the reducer. could anyone give me some FLO links to the best options for a 2" wide view. I've seen the 2" diagonal and will get that next week. do I need a new visual back to be able to put the new diagonal on my scope ?

18 minutes ago, Theninjagecko said:

so the 2" 42mm shows about the same as the 40 with the reducer, but I'm guessing the reducer will degrade the visual quality and more to do if I want to go high power by having to remove the reducer. could anyone give me some FLO links to the best options for a 2" wide view. I've seen the 2" diagonal and will get that next week. do I need a new visual back to be able to put the new diagonal on my scope ?

You either get a new 2" visual back or you can get 2" diagonals which screw straight onto the rear port fitting of the SCT.

I think William Optics do an SCT barrel converter for their 2" push fit diagonal.

I don't use SCT's now so others will have a more detailed knowledge of the exact options.

At least you realise that the 9.25 SCT is not a wide field scope - it just gets a little wider with the 2" diagonal / eyepiece options !

I was thinking of the skywatcher di diagonal but unsure if this needs a new visual back or screws in. Ivery seen a 40mm 2 inch from Explorer scientific on flow. I'd say my price range is upretty to 200 for a single ep.

6 hours ago, Theninjagecko said:

on astro tools the LVW 42mm will show me the same as my 40mm plos with the reducer... am I missing something? Thanks.

The LVW 42 may give the same true field of view, but does so at a higher magnification than the 40mm Plössl with reducer. This gives a much darker background, and clearer image. Also, switching magnification by inserting different EPs or Barlows is much easier than screwing (or unscrewing) the reducer. Its fine thread makes that a real pain, because you can easily cross-thread it, damaging scope or reducer, or both 

If you want to use true wide field eyepieces then the reducer will restrict the field of view because of the size of its field stop. It is much better to go 2".

I use a 42mm LVW with my C9.25 and it's right on the maximum view possible. However, for deep sky I prefer a higher power eyepiece and so use a 22mm T4 Nagler. That gives x107.

You should give FLO a call about attaching the Skywatcher 2" diagonal to your 9.25. I have the William Optics 2" diagonal (basically the same piece of kit as the Skywatcher, all made in the same factory in Far East) and I had to get a WO SCT adapter for my C6 Evolution in place of the standard visual back. Think it was about £25. Presume the Skywatcher will be the same.

I feel the anglers are a little out my price range and I've experienced excellent customer support from FLO so would ideally  like to use them. just looking on there now, any links to the 42's on flow guys ? looking at the vixens now although the 42 is nearly 300, are another of the other brands close for the 2" ?

thanks.

I'd agree with Mr Spock. If you are looking for a good low power wide EP for your Nexstar, you don't need to spend £300. A Panaview or other alternative for £70-80 would be almost as effective in a slow SCT. I use 32mm and 40mm plossls in my SCT and they are excellent. If you are also using faster scopes then the better quality eyepieces come into their own.

Archived