NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good Evening from a newcomer

carlpenn

Thank you for the warm welcome. My Telescope arrived and we had a quick set up and play. It was cloudy so nothing to see last night, but with the help of the manual we got to grips with the goto unit.

I am impressed with the look, feel and quality of the Telescope and cannot wait to report on our first nights viewings. ?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great. The freedom find is a very neat feature, the ability to use the telescope and mount totally with no power and then redo the clutches up and it carries on knowing where it is (if it was first aligned) so if while camping you lose power source you can still enjoy it totally manually. If you move it manually it saves batteries as slewing between targets is hungry whereas tracking once you are on target isn't.

On YouTube there is a video by nature and astronomy tv on this telescope probably worth watching to get a working overview.

When you come to enter the details in date is american format, month then day then year.

6 hours ago, happy-kat said:

That's great. The freedom find is a very neat feature, the ability to use the telescope and mount totally with no power and then redo the clutches up and it carries on knowing where it is (if it was first aligned) so if while camping you lose power source you can still enjoy it totally manually. If you move it manually it saves batteries as slewing between targets is hungry whereas tracking once you are on target isn't.

On YouTube there is a video by nature and astronomy tv on this telescope probably worth watching to get a working overview.

When you come to enter the details in date is american format, month then day then year.

Thank you for that, I have just finished watching with my Son - Very informative and a positive review :)

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 09:33, Scott said:

Hi Carl and welcome to SGL. It's always nice to be able to share the night skies with someone and its great that your son has an interest also. I don't think its something that ever truelly leaves you once its bitten :D.

Download the free planiterium software "Stellarium". It's useful for showing you whats in the sky from your location at any given time along with useful info on constellation starlore that mayinterest your young fella.

Thank you - Downloading this now :)

3 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

If you are into books then Turn Left at Orion is a great one.

Things that are useful.

A red torch (paint a cheap one with nail polish)

Warm hat!

Got a Warm Hat, I think pinching my Wifes red nail polish might be asking for it at the moment lol........She is still sore at the Invoice she found, thanks to the delivery guy ignoring the "Deliver next door" request and waking her up from her nightshift :( 

Just seen tomorrows weather forecast, Clear night, fingers crossed :D

Just a quick thank you again for the warm welcome, I have this week enjoyed my first viewing with the telescope. I have written a little about it here:

Probably not the best write up but I am new at this and once I get to grips, hope to be able to make more informative observations etc.

Archived