SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Good Evening from a newcomer

carlpenn

Hello all, I have been browsing through the site and thought I should take a moment to greet you all.

I have just purchased a Skywatcher Star Discovery 150p Goto Telescope, it is arriving tomorrow (Weather looks grim as well for the next few nights!!! :( ) from 365astronomy.

I have wanted to adventure into Astronomy for two main reasons, One being that my 11 year old Son has begun to show a fairly keen interest in the night Skies (Thanks to Prof. Brian Cox and his wonderful TV programmes) He is starting to pick up on constellations and thanks to his love of history, I have been researching and teaching / helping him learn why / how these constellations got their names.

The other reason, albeit a rather lazy one, is I wanted something fun and interesting to do on our Camping trips at night, when there is little else to do but admire the night sky. I have spent many a clear night gazing at the sheer beauty of the night skies (my best experience was in Bude - The milky Way was just spectacular, made me feel so small and humble :) ) Hence the Goto Telesccope. We camp with my Wifes friend and her family, so we have two youngsters with us who I am sure will enjoy this, but I wanted something 'quick' to point at the Skies (if that makes sense) to keep the excitement at a maximum for them.

For me personally, I have since childhood, stared above with awe. With a twist of coincidence, I also remember sitting outside our Tent with my Parents looking at the millions of Stars visible from our Campsite near Keswick in the Lake District, where we would holiday every year (That was 37 years ago!!!!!!!!!) On a more amusing note, I also recall sitting in a very, very cold Greenhouse with my Older Brother, armed with Binoculars at some crazy time of the morning (I think it was around 4am) watching Hale Bopp :p 

So, here is to a new adventure which I hope to share with you all and learn from you all :D

Carl.

P.S If I don't post for a few weeks, its because my Wife found the invoice............ :o

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Carl and welcome to the forum. Don't worry about the receipt mate, I bet she has more of her own receipts hidden away - look upon it as a equalisation activity! :evil62:

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum.

Welcome to the forum Carl. There are lots of great people here only too happy to help, so don't be afraid to ask.

as for the receipt, did you not ask for a wife receipt one to go with the real one... It's usually 50% cheaper ;)

Hi Carl and welcome to SGL. It's always nice to be able to share the night skies with someone and its great that your son has an interest also. I don't think its something that ever truelly leaves you once its bitten :D.

Download the free planiterium software "Stellarium". It's useful for showing you whats in the sky from your location at any given time along with useful info on constellation starlore that mayinterest your young fella.

Hello,

and welcome to this forum,it is one of the best stargazing forums on the web,everyone is always willing to help out with any question.so feel free to fire off i know i have

If your children have a smart phone, you can let them install a sky app and a Jupiter moon app. For yourself a moon phase app is practical when planning your camping trips. And an aurora forecast app. And a Messier list app.

Hi Carl and welcome, just don't let her find the invoices that follow......

The first thing I might suggest is find an external power source, as you learn to set up and enter data to the handset and have a good old play, you're gonna eat batteries.

But don't let that put off theres a hundred ways around it.

Enjoy.

Archived