Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Rowan belt mod issue

Andyb90

Hi,

I've purchased the Rowan engineering belt mod kit for my HEQ5 with the optional pinion extractor tool too.

I started the mod this evening and got to the step (7), where the pinion gear needs to be extracted from the pinion on the dec motor.

But the pinion extractor doesn't fit over the pinion. The opening in the pinion extractor is too narrow.

I've already emailed Rowan engineering for assistance.

However would be good to know which other extractor tool(s) could be used. As I'm not sure what would be the correct type and size of extractor and extractor screw.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

I had the same problem and was scratching my head. When sliding in the pinion tool, push it down as far as it will go so it will be flush with the top of the pinion, before sliding it over the pinion. Does that make sense? I need sleep!

I still couldn't get the pinion to fit, but have contacted Rowan engineering. They're going to widen the opening on the extractor. I just need to give them the actual width of the DEC and RA pinions.

Andy.

I also had similar trouble when recently doing the belt mod, but was able to eventually wiggle the extractor over the pinion. The tolerances seem to be extremely tight with the fit.

I've managed to file down the opening of the extractor and was able to extract the dec gear.

I've installed the pulleys and roller for the dec axis, but have found the spacer isn't wide enough. The 9 tooth pulley and roller are protruding to such an extent that they touch the cover when I place it on top of the spacer.

So I'll contact Rowan again to see if they can provide a wider spacer. I guess the other option might be to use 2 spacers and longer m3 screws to secure them.

Andy.

39 minutes ago, Andyb90 said:

I've managed to file down the opening of the extractor and was able to extract the dec gear.

I've installed the pulleys and roller for the dec axis, but have found the spacer isn't wide enough. The 9 tooth pulley and roller are protruding to such an extent that they touch the cover when I place it on top of the spacer.

So I'll contact Rowan again to see if they can provide a wider spacer. I guess the other option might be to use 2 spacers and longer m3 screws to secure them.

Andy.

I seem to remember step 9 was quite critical - not sure if that helps...

Louise

It appears some HEQ5s are special snowflakes regarding their dimensions with the belt mod. Mine had the measurements as expected by Rowan, but still it required extra spacers to fit the motors deeper so that the cover was not touching anything. 

In any case Rowan provided very good support with getting the motors in the right place :)

I spoke to Rowan and they are going to send me some spacers.

So would be the same fix.

Unfortunately I have a new issue. The RA pulley does not slide over the RA motor shaft.

I took the pulley off the DEC motor shaft and tried that, but it doesn't fit either.

So I think the RA motor shaft is marginally wider than the DEC one.

So I'll speak to Rowan about that. I'm hoping they can widen the hole in the pulley.

I thought this mod was going to be straight forward !!

Andy.

Hi Andy,  
It could be there is a very small burr on the shoulder where the pinion gear was fitted.  Gently clean the shaft with some fine wet & dry (600 grade)
and try to fit the pulley again. Don't force it on though, it should be a close sliding fit.
If the above doesn't work, it might need to motor and pulley returning so we can check what's wrong and fit it for you.
Regards, Dave.

Sorry you've had so much trouble, Andy :( When I did mine it was straightforward with no real problems on my heq5 syntrek. I suspect Synta must change their design / use different components from time to time. Trouble is you can't tell from the outside. I hope you can get everything to fit together and work properly.

Louise

I sanded down the RA motor shaft and got he pulley to fit onto it.

I then had an issue with the hole in the RA motor plate not being big enough for the roller. I got a needle file and gently filed the hole, which was enough to make the roller fit.

Now both motors are back in and the belts are in place. I think everything is correctly positioned and aligned. Slewing in all directions seems okay and I can see the pulleys and belts moving at sidereal rate. I can't see any signs of anything catching/sticking. The motor cables look to be clear of the dec axis too.

I just need to test now. Will run phd without guiding when I get a clear spell. I guess if anything is misaligned, catching/sticking I 'd get an indication on the graph.

Andy.

I also had no problems at all with fitting the mod kit.  I did however, make a 'gasket' out of 1mm ABS sheet to give additional clearance for the cover.  That aside, it took longer to watch the instructional video on youtube than it did to fit the kit!  An excellent investment too.

Archived