Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nexstar 6SE Setup help request

Hi Everyone,

Firstly  I must admit that I am new at this. I have just assembled Nexstar 6se.  This is my first scope.

I could not see anything from 25mm eyepiece so I went back to instructions manual and quick start manual and followed their instructions to align  star pointer and align the  main scope.

I was using a telephone pole as a marker to align. However as per the instructions I have to centre the object in eyepiece in the main scope and then align pointer.  But again I cannot see anything from the eyepiece.  I am not sure if I am reading it right. I watched  youtube videos and though the exact process is not demonstrated they talk about aligning star pointer even before they install the star diagonal and the eyepiece. 

Can someone please clarify and step by step describe the procedure for star pointer alignment.

I am new to this and your help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Do you mean aligning the finder? The small "scope" that you're supposed to look through to find objects with before looking at them through the main instrument? If so, this is best done in daytime using an object a mile or more distant. Get this object (church-steeple, tall building, etc.) centered in your highest-power eyepiece. Then zero-in on it in the star-pointer - or whatever they are calling it. The closer you get the two to agree, the better for using it in the dark.

Are you able to get a good image through your main telescope in daytime? Learning to adjust your focus in daytime is also preferable than trying to learn to focus in the dark. Also make sure you're not leaving a dust-cap on your scope. You'd be impressed how often even us "old hands" manage to pull this trick on ourselves! :eek:  :icon_mrgreen:

And do this with your diagonal in place, if you'll be using the diagonal at nighttime. I don't see the logic in trying to align your finder/star-pointer without the diagonal and/or eyepiece. According to Celestron, I see it only comes with the one 25mm eyepiece. So that narrows your options a bit. With this your telescope will be giving you 60X - which should be fine to begin with. So I suggest you wait for daytime and practice focussing and align the star-pointer on the furthest object outside you can find. Even so, you'll need to re-focus at night on a bright star or planet. Jupiter will be up pretty early in the eastern-sky.

Do you have star-charts to help you find your way around up there? Let us know. If not, I'll be happy to link you to some excellent, free software to find your way about.

Take your time - the stars and planets aren't going away. Not quickly at least.

Dave

Hi

With these SCT's you have to turn the focus knob a long way sometimes, I mean 10 or 20 twists.

Point it at some distant trees to start with, and don't be afraid to turn the knob a lot in both directions, hopefully the trees will spring into focus.

Then try and find your telegraph pole, centre it in the main scope, and align the small finder scope onto the same point on the pole.

Then fine tune on the moon, then a bright star.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone,

I was able to do a solar system alignment last night.  But that was the only success I got.  wit 25 mm eyepiece I was barely able to get a good views of Moon.  I Tried 6 mm and 13 mm but no luck.  Part of the problem may be that I am viewing from light polluted skies of Toronto.

I am thinking of going in for Light Pollution filter but can someone please recommend a good eyepiece? and Which light pollution filter is best.  Also if the telescope is solar system aligned does it have to be aligned every time??

Thanks

The Moon is bright enough as it is. It stands out well and will not benefit from a light pollution filter. What did it look like to you?

Unless your telescope is broken, the Moon shows a sharp edge and many craters in the 25 mm eyepiece.

Have you tried the full range of the focus knob, from stop to stop?

Start with getting a good view of the moon with the longest focal length, and magnify up afterwards.  

Once you have aligned the 'scope with the Moon or say Jupiter, it should stay aligned and track whatever you are viewing.  (It might drift after a while.)  And yes, next time you use the 'scope, it has to be aligned again, starting with entering date and time.  (It remembers lat/long.)

Doug.

Archived