Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Balance weights on an ED80 on an AZ EQ6 mount

I have been reading up on how to achieve balance with the above set up when using an Atik383 camera and a filter wheel with 2" filters - lots of out of balance without some additional weight at the front end!

I currently velcro about four and a half pound of weight on the front end to achieve balance.

Simple question: What are the pros and cons of not bothering with the addition at all and imaging with the above set up with the DEC axis significantly out of balance? I would rather not be hanging this amount of weight on the end of the ED80.  Can damage be caused to the mount motors etc?

The same problem occurs with a similar imaging set up using the Celestron 8SE scope - which is pretty heavy to start with.

Thanks for looking

Alec

Simple question: What are the pros and cons of not bothering with the addition at all and imaging with the above set up with the DEC axis significantly out of balance? I would rather not be hanging this amount of weight on the end of the ED80.  Can damage be caused to the mount motors etc?

If the gears in the mount are set correctly with close to zero backlash there is a good chance the motors will stall with it so far out of balance.

Your setup is very similar to mine - I just bought a much longer dovetail bar and it balances without any extra weights at all - which is a good thing!

Not the Az-EQ6 but I user the Eq-6 and found the same balance problem.  Solved by fixing another dovetail on the top of the rings  and moving the guide-scope (an Altair 60mm) almost to the end of the tube rather than it hanging near the back.  Makes a big difference.

Archived