Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DIY Auto Guiding Help

Hi Everyone, 

I am looking to attach my first telescope, a 60mm Refractor onto my 130PDS and use it as a guide scope as i'm having no joy at all with the 50mm Orion Mini guide scope (impossible to focus). Could anyone take a look at the picture below and let me know what mountings i can use to attach this Refractor onto my Newtonian or if its even possible to do so and use it as an effective guide scope.

56c5fd1009cd9_setup.thumb.jpg.df5634cc95

On a side note can anyone recommend a decent guider camera to purchase around the same price mark as the Orion SSAG with software that works with Windows 10? I've had it with this Orion Mini guider set up as the driver software is terrible and inability to focus the guidescope has rendered it totally useless. Currently the only PC i can get the SSAG to work on is my desktop (just to test that the camera itself wasnt faulty) which is too far away from my observing site in the garden. I've tried to get it to work on 2 separate Windows 7 laptops with no luck  :dark1::cussing: ..... rant over

Anyway, any help much appreciated as always,

cheers,

George :) 

To be honest, I would stick with the mini guider, ifs easier to mount, less prone to flex urge and probably lighter, all good things.

but of course you have to sort the focus issue and that's perhaps down to adapters etc, have a word with Bern at  Modern astronomy, he may be able to sort you out correct adapters.

Ray

If you really must here's how we did things 30+ years ago. Guide rings fitted to the top of the tube rings. But that was for manual guiding with film.

Or for more stability I recently got some 65mm camera lens rings cheaply on eBay and padded them out with some thin green furniture protection felt.

personally I'd stick with the Orion mini-guide and SSAG. First establish whether the focus point is further in or further out.

IMG_20150120_0059.jpg

IMG_0212[1].jpg

IMG_0208[2].jpg

IMG_0209[1].jpg

Thanks for the responses everyone! 

Been experimenting all day and have managed to obtain focus with the 50mm guide scope. Unscrewing the front lens forward until its nearly falling off and then moving the nosepiece of the camera about 5 - 7 mm back from the main tube of the scope has worked a treat. Still no luck with the SSAG camera though. It works a charm on my Win7 Desktop (managed to test guide scope focus using this PC and zooming into a tree a few hundred yards away through the window) and spent another few hours fiddling with uninstalling and reinstalling drivers on my other Win7 laptops using exactly the same process as I did on the Desktop but still no luck. So I will get rid of it.

As a replacement then I will look at the QHY5LL or ZWO120, can anyone recommend which might be best software wise of these two? 

I like the look of the ZWO120 Colour as it acts as both a guider and entry level planetary CCD which would be useful as im getting a SCT next month and want to get into a bit of planetary imaging as well.

Im unsure of the Monochrome versions basically because i dont no/understand which filter wheel/filters i would need for the planets. Is it the same as DSO's so Ha, OIII, SII etc? and what type of filter wheel do you use?

Oh god so many questions hah sorry! :help:

• 1 month later...

Hi Nukemninja,

I've just joined up to help with my SSAG tales of woe and wondered if you ever sorted a replacement?
I jumped in as I saw the site was offering Win 10 drivers, that was a rash and hopeful choice on my part. My return is currently pending. I'm now loking at alternatives as you have to run with PHD2 on Win 10.

BTW - did you try the Helical Focuser for your focus issues? I've barely gotten that far but the lengthly SSAG exposure I took seemed okay-ish (I thought I'd try without first). Maybe another bad choice. It's all learning right!?!

Scott.

Hi Scott, 

Funny you posted this today as i have only just managed to get round to sorting a replacement for the SSAG. I'm ordering a QHY5L II as out of all my research this seems to be the best bet that it will run with Windows 10 and it also has some good reviews. I'm in touch with Bernard at Modern Astronomy just to confirm. 

As for focusing i did manage to sort out the Orion 50mm scope by unscrewing the front lens to its absolute limit and then moving the camera nosepiece back a few mm to obtain decent focus. I dont have the helical version of the guide scope unfortunately. I'm also going to start using my 9 x 50 finder on my Edge 8" SCT as another guidescope and keep the Orion on my 130PDS. 

When i get it next week and if we have any clear skies down here i'll run some tests and let you know the results. 

cheers, 

George

Hi George,

That seals it really. With you and Billy both leaning that way, my SSAG is heading back. Hopefully you'll have better luck with your new setup (I'm heading to google now). I'd be interested to see if you get better guiding and no lines on your images (as I had a nightmare with both). My best quality was an exposure at 15sec, which as I understand it, is on the cusp of useless. It also wouldn't autoselect a star, move my mount or register with different versions of PHD2. Grim!

I got mine bundled, so I'll be on the lookout for a new guide scope too. I think I'll follow suit with you guys (depending on cost OC) and check out the 9x50.

Thanks for the info!

Scott.

Okay, googling done. A few questions to help iron this out: the SW9x50 Billy has, has an option for a right angle viewer (£10 extra) is it worth the cash just to have, would it maybe be useful for alignment? The QHY5L II, is it that good for imaging that I should consider colour or am I better with monochrome as I only really intend to guide with it?

Both are coming in at really good prices, less than I paid for my Orion bundle, so I'm quite tempted. I'll hang fast for a bit. I'm interested to hear your opinions, I'm sure these are considerations you had too.

Thanks.

If you are just going to use the QHY for guiding then the monochrome would be the best bet. It has higher sensitivity and I think would have the potential to find more guide stars. The colour versions built in bayer matrix could effect sensitivity and not show as many guide stars in PHD guiding software. 

As for the 9x50 finder check this video out below on how to modify it and what bits and pieces you need. Great channel.

cheers, 

George

15 minutes ago, Nukemninja said:

If you are just going to use the QHY for guiding then the monochrome would be the best bet. It has higher sensitivity and I think would have the potential to find more guide stars. The colour versions built in bayer matrix could effect sensitivity and not show as many guide stars in PHD guiding software. 

As for the 9x50 finder check this video out below on how to modify it and what bits and pieces you need. Great channel.

cheers, 

George

Brilliant George. You pretty much confirmed my thoughts. I was oblivious to the concept of modding my finder scope, I'm watching it and giving that a whirl (once it arrives). I think I watched his video on Polar Alignment, he's quite good and his Lancashire accent cracks me up. My basket is loaded with both and will be bought in a flash. BTW I've had a look around a few threads here (general poking about) and have noticed that quite a few people (some advanced users) are sporting this guider setup too. You're in good company!

Archived