SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Light shrouds for trusstube dob

Just to test things will goto town and hand sow  it just to see what it looks like  and what it will cut out on the light path it's only a few quid and it's nothing if it all goes wrong I do appreciate all comments so far and a group average on a discussion is better than a single thought 

pat 

• Like 1

Hi well back from town they had three grades of nylon Lycra  how to describe them grade 1 rubbish,grade  2 not so rubbish but thicker a bit heavy ,grade three with a £6 pound per metre  price supper heavy and easy to sew ( famous last words ) so,here's my plan note pic below 

A/B are as you guess top and bottom of scope 

the three verticals lines are the truss tubes 

parts ,1,2,3 camping matts cut down to each size, I,found 10" of,camping Matt does not un-balance the scope 

my plan is to glue Velcro to part s 1 and 3 along the dotted lines on pic 

I will have a 2" band  with no Velcro.   ( subject to trail and error this may turn in to 3 or 4 pieces) 

with the black Lycra will sew Velcro top and bottom lenght of this 29" 

This may not work out but I have nothing to loose I will not cut the Lycra to size I will most prob lightly sew it on for test purpose as if the 2" camp matt does not keep it from of the truss tubes and interfere with the light path

Pat 

image.jpeg

Update 

It turns out you do need a needle to stitch Lycra nylon mix my neighbor  tried last night and yes "  aright job it was" the needle is called a ballpoint  internet job now ordered 

pat

Edited by todd8137
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

Hi Pat,

I know this is an old post. But I was wondering how the shroud worked out for you? Did you make one?

My dobson has also three truss poles, just like yours. I would like to make or buy a Light shrouds. But I'm hesitant as the shroud might cut some light.

22 minutes ago, Stardust1 said:

Hi Pat,

I know this is an old post. But I was wondering how the shroud worked out for you? Did you make one?

My dobson has also three truss poles, just like yours. I would like to make or buy a Light shrouds. But I'm hesitant as the shroud might cut some light.

Yes still does the job and does it well if your worried you can make,metal hoops the same ones that are in wedding dresses but to be honnest it does not cut to much light 

I have tested it on dimmer galaxies shroud on and no shroud it made little to no change to brightness or contrast

keep looking up 

Pat

• Thanks 1

Hi ,yes not if tou at a dark sky spot  bjt its also a safety net as well plus it keeps the dist and other stuff outits so easy,to drop some thing and a 16" mirror is not some thing id like to replace ive dropped many eps pens ect when around the scope 

pat

• 6 months later...

Thread revival time 😁

I have an Obsession ultra compact dob which also has 3 sets of poles.  When I was in the States a couple of weeks ago I took the opportunity to pick up an Astrosysytems shroud - ordered as designed for Obsession UC.  So have got it home and it is just a standard tubed shroud 🙄. So have been looking at ways to keep it out of the light path.

I thought I'd share here was looks promising (waiting for first light...). 

Another thread on here about dewshields mentioned Proplex. At £4 for a big sheet in Wickes it is cheap enough to experiment with!

IMG_20190901_200844.thumb.jpg.e863b5501c5731498db3b94349f5634f.jpg

It turns out it is ideal when cut into strips.  It is really lightweight and easy to cut. It seems to be keeping enough shape too.  At the moment I've got two ribs, but will see how it works in practic

Helen

IMG_20190901_200910.jpg