SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stupid

Had a very enjoyable evening yesterday looking at the moon and trying to sketch. The moon was up again this evening so I got the telescope out and set up but dammed if I could get the telescope to focus. Tried a different eyepiece, checked the eyepiece was fitted properly, checked the 1.25inch adapter, nothing worked. It was pretty cold so at one point I even though perhaps the telescope had shrunk. What was the problem? The problem was that I have a Skywatcher Flextube Dobsonian and the tube was not quite fully extended. Hell!

Eventually did enjoy an hour looking at the moon however.

By the way, can anyone recommend a good lunar map which is the right way up for a Dobsonian?

Cheers

Steve

Hi steve, if you have an android phone you can download moon atlas 3d, it shows all the apollo landing sites and great details. You can simply turn your phone upside down. 

Adam

Edit* you dont need to turn your phone upside down as it has telescope mode and does it for you

57 minutes ago, Adamchiv said:

Hi steve, if you have an android phone you can download moon atlas 3d, it shows all the apollo landing sites and great details. You can simply turn your phone upside down. 

Adam

Edit* you dont need to turn your phone upside down as it has telescope mode and does it for you

turn screen rotation off  :happy6:

We have all done daft things. I bought a 13mm Ethos about 3 years ago, put it into the 2 inch focuser and was none too impressed with the result, I think I was looking at the Moon as well, then the penny dropped I had not removed the 1.25 inch lens cap, I have even done it since.

1 hour ago, alan potts said:

We have all done daft things. I bought a 13mm Ethos about 3 years ago, put it into the 2 inch focuser and was none too impressed with the result, I think I was looking at the Moon as well, then the penny dropped I had not removed the 1.25 inch lens cap, I have even done it since.

I did exactly the same with my Nagler 12T4, which is also a dual fit type. I have even repeated that :iamwithstupid:

Thanks everyone, I have now ordered a laminated Sky and Telescope Mirror Image Moon Map and I do much prefer a hardcopy map. I have also installed the Virtual Moon Atlas and Stellarium software packages. So I'm all set up. 

Thanks again

Steve

Archived