Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon T Ring Recommendations

MarkyD

The T ring I have for my Canon is noticeably loose with quite a bit of slop on the camera mount - it was cheap and came with a 2 X Barlow when I bought it over 12 months ago.  Are there any recommendations for one with minimum slop that people have used?

Is this Baader protective one worth getting?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-protective-t-ring-for-canon-eos.html

--

Mark

Which screws are these?  There are the grub screws that hold the thread into the ring - these are OK - and one very small one that doesn't seem to serve any purpose at all that sits inside the mounting lugs

I have a few degrees rotational slop on this ring in the camera body.  It looks like the slot that the locating pin sit in is to big causing it to rotate

--

Mark

I have some sympathy with this.  My "incy wincy" screws caused me a lot of grief when I used one of these T-mounts to mount a lens as a guide cam.  Talk about flexure where you'd never think of looking for it ! (learning point: look EVERYWHERE)

I have found that some of the cheaper adaptors have poor tolerances when it comes to the thickness of the 3 'lugs' that mate with the body, resulting in rotary movement when supposedly mated...

So pay a few more pounds & get a decent one from a good outlet (FLO\ModernAstronomy etc)

4 hours ago, MarkyD said:

This is the only "incy wincy" screw that I can see and it looks pretty redundant to me

It stops the bayonet from turning too far and coming out again.

I haven't had any problems with the four t-mount/M42 to canon adaptors I have had off the 'bay. All are nice secure fits.

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed some looseness in my cheap EOS T2 adapter, so yesterday I had an investigation and found my problem.

Referring to MarkyD's image above, look at the notch in the outer ring above the red dot.

When you press the lens release button on the body, this retracts a spring-loaded pin that locates in that slot.

When you insert and rotate a lens or T2 adapter, that pin pops into the slot and prevents further rotation.

In my case, and MarkyD's looks the same, that slot is too wide, so the bayonet can still rotate slightly.

I filled my slot with JB weld and then cut out a narrower slot.

You don't want the pin to slide over and wear the epoxy, so cut the slot to the side away from the red dot.

Michael

Archived