Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Trapezium & M43 in Ha

theo

It's been a while since i posted anything, mainly due to the dreadful weather since about October last year so with a brief clear spell last week I took a bit of Ha data on the Trapezium and surrounding region. It's only an hour of data, 6 ten minute subs and some short ones for the core. Would have been nice to have got some more but a gremlin early took me a while to resolve so by the time I started shooting it was well past the Meridian so quite pleased with the outcome considering.

Usual gear, LX200acf 305mm and QSI683wsg camera.

Regards

Pete

choose files... Click to choose files

M42 Trap & M43.png

You have gotten some really sharp resolution in the nebulae! You have also dont superb in controlling the core even though you use 10min exposures. Great image!

I will add a bit of critic though if you dont mind :)... I think if you threw in some short subs for the core and masked those in I think you would be able to pull out even greater contrast for the outer edges while sharpening up the center trap. 

12 hours ago, nmoushon said:

You have gotten some really sharp resolution in the nebulae! You have also dont superb in controlling the core even though you use 10min exposures. Great image!

I will add a bit of critic though if you dont mind :)... I think if you threw in some short subs for the core and masked those in I think you would be able to pull out even greater contrast for the outer edges while sharpening up the center trap. 

The core is composed of 20sec exposures. I think any additional sharpening could start to look a bit noisy as there's only a small amount of data here. I did try a bit of light high pass filtering but decided against it as it starts to look a bit overdone imo. Still thanks for the suggestion.

2 hours ago, theo said:

The core is composed of 20sec exposures. I think any additional sharpening could start to look a bit noisy as there's only a small amount of data here. I did try a bit of light high pass filtering but decided against it as it starts to look a bit overdone imo. Still thanks for the suggestion.

I totally read right over where you said you took some short one. Sorry about that. I guess it looks even brighter than normal on my screen. Maybe because its just in Ha that it seems so bright and once (if) you do other filters it will be just fine. 

2 hours ago, nmoushon said:

I totally read right over where you said you took some short one. Sorry about that. I guess it looks even brighter than normal on my screen. Maybe because its just in Ha that it seems so bright and once (if) you do other filters it will be just fine. 

Hey no problem. Screens do vary in brightness so that could definitely be the reason but I'll probably leave this in Ha as there are other targets that I really want to get onto. Another year maybe :-)  

Cracking good image Pete, it's nice to see the fine resolution in the trapezium like this. I think you've balanced the rest of the nebula very nicely also, looks seamless. There's detail in there that I've not seen before either, shows the quality of resolution you've attained here.

Martin

12 hours ago, Martin-Devon said:

Cracking good image Pete, it's nice to see the fine resolution in the trapezium like this. I think you've balanced the rest of the nebula very nicely also, looks seamless. There's detail in there that I've not seen before either, shows the quality of resolution you've attained here.

Martin

Cheers Martin. Especially pleased that you say there's detail here you haven't seen before as that really was the purpose of this image, too extract as much detail as posible by shooting long. 

Regards

Pete

10 hours ago, David_L said:

Woah! took me straight back to my "Floyd" days ...I could hear the first 4 notes of "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" LOL!

Great shot!

David

Thanks David and to all for your comments. As ever I appreciate them very much.

Pete

Archived