Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Filters and mount for Apollo binos

Highburymark

Another delighted new owner of Helios Apollo 15x70s here. The difference in quality and views compared with my 15 year old Stellars is remarkable, and contrary to my expectations, the extra weight isn't a big problem either (if Michael Wilkinson reads this post - just want to say you were right Michael, I should have bought the reduced Apollos months ago from FLO). However, I am going to get a mount to used them on my photo tripod.

my questions are these:

First, what is the best tripod head to buy under £100 for 2.5kg binos? Should I be looking at pan heads or ball heads for my Manfrotto tripod?

And second, does anyone use light pollution filters with binos? I have an Astronomik CLS which I occasionally use with my scopes, and was wondering if I should get a second one for the Apollos (or another alternative - maybe Baader or Lumicon). I'm slightly concerned about scratching the lens of the binos when attaching filters, and it looks like the filter surface will be very exposed to eyelash contact, but I'd love to see what the views would be like from my light polluted garden. All contributions appreciated.

I would recommend a pan head, but I doubt you will get one for under £100.  I use a manfrotto MVH502AH.

I tried using a ball head (just the once) and if you get the balance wrong or release the friction at the wrong time then you could end up with a costly error.

Somebody is selling Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head + Manfrotto 496 RC2 Compact ball head for £100 on ABS if you are interested.

That's useful to know - thanks. I wasn't sure whether the £40-£50 heads would be sufficient, so it's obviously time to get the credit card out again.

What's great about upgrading the binos is that I can pass on my previous pair to my nephew, who at 12 is already a very knowledgable twitcher - am hoping he will now turn his attention to the night sky.

2 hours ago, BinocularSky said:

I use a Manfrotto 222 Joystick head with my Apollo 15x70; I know several others who do this. The friction is adjustable.

I do sometimes us a UHC in one of the eyepieces; it's OK, but not ideal.

Steve - I hadn't considered using just one filter - I'll give that a go with the CLS .

1 hour ago, Highburymark said:

Steve - I hadn't considered using just one filter - I'll give that a go with the CLS .

One filter is nice on, e.g. PNs - the filtered side blocks out a lot of the starlight and enhances the visibility of the PN; the other is just "normal" and your brain superimposes one on the other. I've never considered using two filters! :icon_biggrin:

I've successfully(ish) used the Ball head trigger grip head that came with with my Ravelli Tripod.No doubt a Pan head would work better,but I'm on a tight budget.

I tried a Baader UHC with the Apollo's once-the idea being that you can 'blink' from one eye to the other.

If I remember correctly,my target was M42,under suburban light pollution.

It didn't do anything for my viewing capacity or enjoyment!

Very excited as I am now also the owner of a pair of 15x70 Apollo's... Can't wait for tonight to check the quality against my revelations which I recently collimated to improve the views considerably.

These Apollo's are monsters and already I think the extra weight has surprisingly increased stability when holding. I do have a Revelli tripod and monopod to also test out with my new binos...

I don't usually do reviews but I'm determined to give a fair comparison with my Revelations as soon as I have had a good play :-) keeping in mind there is quite a difference in cost between the two... 

Good luck patbloke - clear night down here so hopefully it's the same in the Midlands. I think part of the weight increase is due to the fact that cheaper 15x70s weren't 15x70s at all - their aperture was more like 63mm. But even so, the Apollos are impressive.

Oh Wow! I'm one happy stargazer... I've just given the Apollos a night test and I'm delighted to say I believe they are magnificent...

The moon is crisper and brighter then I've seen before through binoculars, I couldn't stop starting at it. A scan of the usual suspects was extremely pleasing. 

Don't know what to say apart from anyone considering an upgrade to these will not be disappointed. My budget 15x70 Revelations are wonderful and I would recommend them to anyone wanting good widefield views of the night sky and some of its wonders. However, these 15x70 Helios Apollos are my new favourite set up :-) still can't believe how bright targets look and how sharp stars look right across the view!

Delighted :-) 

Well done on your purchase of the Apollo 15x70 binos they are fantastic. With regard using filters you may wish to read this thread I started -

The only recommendation I would make is don't screw the filters into the bino eyepiece too tight. I had a problem one night trying to get the filter back out. I have not tried a single filter but might give it a try sometime.

Just caught up with this thread (glad to hear I was right of course ;) ). I think the monopod+trigger grip direction is where I would go (still use them without support most often). A pan and tilt set-up is going to be a pain. I also have a p-mount (home-brew) which works well, but takes more time to set up than I would like. Great for star parties, but not good for quick sessions

Archived