Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scope Shroud

Lorne

I never had myself as a lycra wearing guy but after my 4 way stretch lycra tube material arrived it was a toss up between using it as planned - a DIY Dob shroud or a figure hugging dress. In the end after deciding it looked a bit tight for me, I fitted it onto my ES Dob. Its held on at the top by velcro, and it stays in position by itself at the square shaped bottom of the trusses, I'm well happy - cost all of £8 for a 1 metre length including delivery!

Shroud1.jpg.ff6ce8fcb2a41ef8d62136e83ca7Shroud.jpg.6ba6224dfed9a3e63912a3c262b90

** Just to clarify, the story was embellished slightly - there was never any intent for me to use it as a dress, HONEST! :icon_biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Well played Lorne - DIY style. I sold a couple of older ep's which I don'y use anymore in order to fund an Astrozap Light shroud for my 12" truss. Iy was prcey but well worth it. I'm now using the homemade light shroud as a decent enough dew shield for the secondary. 

Andy

Nicely done.

I got mother dearest to make me one last month out of rip stop nylon. It's not an elasticated material but does the job o.k. 

Should keep down the extraneous light.

Just a suggestion as I've noticed as your scope has an open type upper tube assembly, a baffle across from the focuser on the upper tube will probably help with contrast

Hope that's a help

4 hours ago, mapstar said:

Nicely done.

I got mother dearest to make me one last month out of rip stop nylon. It's not an elasticated material but does the job o.k. 

Should keep down the extraneous light.

Just a suggestion as I've noticed as your scope has an open type upper tube assembly, a baffle across from the focuser on the upper tube will probably help with contrast

Hope that's a help

The scope was supplied with a velcro attached foam baffle but as of yesterday upper tube is no longer open, I've had the drill and pop rivets at the ready, the focuser position is now on my preferred side of the OTA and I filled the open spaces with 1mm kydex material. There will be a pic to follow. I now only have to build a wooden base (wheeled) to raise the scope a few inches to my preferred height and It'll be complete to my satisfaction. 

UTA1.jpg.d871ce740963da680b351c7c8425f7c

Here is the pic.... the kydex sheet - thanks for the tip Mike (Demon Barber) is pop rivetted on the inside of the UTA, the aluminium rivet heads are covered by self adhesive flocking material. Looking at the pic I noticed the holes left by the previous position of the plate for the red dot - now Rigel finder, I'll cover them up as soon as I get the chance.

Archived