Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMOD Polar alignment

Hi All,

I have heard that you can do a polar alignment with EQMOD without being able to see Polaris, and that you can choose whichever stars you want in order to achieve alignment.

I have watched Chris's video EQASCOM "Alignment Part 1: Sync based approach", is this alignment what I am looking for, i.e. can I just point the mount roughly North and align according to the instructions in the video? What throws me is that this method of alignment does not involve altering the Alt and Az bolts to align the mount (center the star in the eyepiece), whereas the Synscan handset alignment and the Alignmaster software do require bolt adjustment.

What am I missing? Can I use Chris's method and not adjust the bolts, or do I have to have the scope polar aligned accurately before using the video?

Thanks,

Neil.

This method is to create a map to improve on goto (an improved 3 stars alignment if you will). If you are not moving the alt-az bolt, then you are not aligning the mount.

There is another video called "EQASCOM- Polar Scope Alignment Tool" but this one is to be used with a polar scope. If you cannot see polaris, then you could just use any drift alignment method.

Archived