NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Collimation

Hi all,

Sorry for spamming the forums with questions!

I may regret asking this, but here goes anyway.

Do all scopes need collimation at some point or are there types that dont?  I have no plans on colliating my new scope straight out of the box of course but i just wanted a heads up if eventually all scopes need to be collimated or is this only certain types?

All telescopes have to be collimated initially by the manufacturer and should, in the main, have a facility for after sales collimation by the owner. Refractors are least likely to need periodic collimation followed by Maksutovs, SCT's and Newtonians. The difficulty for collimation is reflected by the owners experience, the complexity of the optical system and the design of the provided means of adjustment. None of these is to be feared!.

All telescopes have to be collimated initially by the manufacturer and should, in the main, have a facility for after sales collimation by the owner. Refractors are least likely to need periodic collimation followed by Maksutovs, SCT's and Newtonians. The difficulty for collimation is reflected by the owners experience, the complexity of the optical system and the design of the provided means of adjustment. None of these is to be feared!.

Thanks Peter.

I wouldn't say i fear it...just cautious not to dive in to quickly until i have a grasp of the basics :)

Collimation is something that's worth doing once every so often.  As people say, it's nothing to be scared of. Just take it slow, remember what you did in the last step, and if it's worse - undo it.  Small tweaks are all that you should need.    If you are not sure any need some help, I'm sure there will be people near to you who'd be able to help out.   Find your local astro society and I'm sure there will be people there for sure.

Archived