Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky-Watcher Star Discovery 150P

1 minute ago, happy-kat said:

With perhaps  a duvet folded on the floor underneath just in case as an idea.

Good idea but i would just concentrate on NOT letting go....when and indeed if the seal releases (yours may not be even glued  !?) its not a sudden release more a "ah...we have movement, better tighten grip ;)"

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A shim just short of the inner diameter's circumference, and of very thin material, paper even, can be inserted to ensure proper centering of the Cheshire.  In this case, in converting the 1.26" opening to 1.25" for a small refractor, and with a shim of very thin PVC...

56ad4ca3b1cfc_1.26-inchfocusser2a.jpg.bb

cheers for that Lee will give it a go. It seems simple enough however I have a immense talent at turning simple jobs into major operations! will let you know how I get on.

BTW what focuser did you settle on getting in the end?

23 minutes ago, popeye85 said:

cheers for that Lee will give it a go. It seems simple enough however I have a immense talent at turning simple jobs into major operations! will let you know how I get on.

BTW what focuser did you settle on getting in the end?

No problem buddy, its a doddle..really.  I went with that one i linked in my fp, the GSO 1.25 crayford :-

http://agenaastro.com/gso-1-25-reflector-crayford-focuser-single-speed.html

Its out of stock cos its on its way to my house lol but Agena Astro assure me they will reorder soon if you wanted the same, cant get a black 1.25 to fit in the UK so had to venture out to the USA.

I will post some pics of when i fit it as i need to make the hole bigger and make some new location bolt holes, while totally dismantled i will flock the tube also.

I stayed with 1.25 cos alll my eps are that size and i dont see the need for one or two 2" ones, plus the 2" focusers are more to buy and heavier.

Good luck popeye :D

1 hour ago, LeeRich said:

No problem buddy, its a doddle..really.  I went with that one i linked in my fp, the GSO 1.25 crayford :-

http://agenaastro.com/gso-1-25-reflector-crayford-focuser-single-speed.html

Its out of stock cos its on its way to my house lol but Agena Astro assure me they will reorder soon if you wanted the same, cant get a black 1.25 to fit in the UK so had to venture out to the USA.

I will post some pics of when i fit it as i need to make the hole bigger and make some new location bolt holes, while totally dismantled i will flock the tube also.

I stayed with 1.25 cos alll my eps are that size and i dont see the need for one or two 2" ones, plus the 2" focusers are more to buy and heavier.

Good luck popeye :D

I sense a YouTube vlog! ?

well you where right! simple enough to do untill you re-insert the collimator! I also found that there wasn't enough wiggle room in the adjustment screws for the primary so it still isn't perfect-might have to drill the holes a bit more to get it bang on.

yes secondary mirror is pretty much bang on-as for the tape I am just in the process of ordering a new collimator, upgrade from a Cheshire to a laser one so will see how I get on with that before I do anything drastic!

I use a laser and it's no better, the actual draw tube hole is bigger then 1.25 so a shim of some description is a work around but not ideal, hence the upgrade for me. Glad you got sorted though and drilling out the holes a bit is the way to go for ease. Nice one pal.

My standalone 6" f/5 has the same focusser.  In collimating it after reassembling, and after flocking and blackening the tube, I tried the PVC, but it was too thick.  I found that a single layer of thin packing tape worked best; the cheaper said tape the better, since such seems to determine its thinness, and applied around the barrel of the collimating tool, but not all the way around of course.

10 hours ago, popeye85 said:

well you where right! simple enough to do untill you re-insert the collimator! I also found that there wasn't enough wiggle room in the adjustment screws for the primary so it still isn't perfect-might have to drill the holes a bit more to get it bang on.

Rather then make the holes bigger popeye why not elongate them along the tube an 1/8" as this is the only direction movement is needed anyhow. This is what I will do when I dismantle mine to fit my GSO  Crayford and flock the main tube. As yours didn't quite collimate bang on, mine did but it was at the very end of travel so lengthening these holes is a no brainer  ?

Was your cell also glued pal ?

17 hours ago, LeeRich said:

Rather then make the holes bigger popeye why not elongate them along the tube an 1/8" as this is the only direction movement is needed anyhow. This is what I will do when I dismantle mine to fit my GSO  Crayford and flock the main tube. As yours didn't quite collimate bang on, mine did but it was at the very end of travel so lengthening these holes is a no brainer  ?

Was your cell also glued pal ?

It had a coupe little dabs not much!

The only issue with elongating the holes is that the housing around the primary is raided up to but against the end of the tube so that even if I did elongate them I still probably wouldn't get much movement, besides the collimation is close enough to be true that it probably aint worth risking butchering the tube ( which with my skills I probably will!!)

Archived