NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Choosing A Goto Scope - Help Required

Hi.

New member and newb to astronomy hoping you can help me choose a Goto scope.

I have been looking at the below two options which on first look are very similar in regards to aperture and focal length etc., however before going ahead and just randomly choosing one of them I thought id ask for some help.

Option 1 - Celestron 31145 NexStar 130 SLT

Option 2 - Skywatcher Explorer 130P

Also I would like to connect whichever I end up purchasing to my macbook via Stellarium, or any alternative you guys recommend, so ideally the scope i choose would need to be able to do this?  Also when connecting via Stellarium or similar do you see what your scope sees on the screen or is it more of a Goto system controlled from your computer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and of course, if you can recommend any scope better than those I've suggested (within the rough same price range) then please do.

Thanks in advance!

Hello and welcome to SGL. The SLT130 and Explorer 130P are very similar optically, both are manufactured by the parent company Synta. The mounts and goto systems look similar but are not the same though. The Celestron's alignment routine is probably a little easier to use than the Skywatcher's, Skywatcher's brightest star alignment isn't much more complicated. Both mounts can be connected to a laptop and controlled via a planetarium programme (Stellarium) . From Stellarium you can slew the mount to your chosen target and then view it through the telescope.  

This is £10 more than the celestron and 20mm more apperture.

I am assuming it meets your other needs but I don't have one so can't say. Could ask the reseller to be sure.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/az-goto/sky-watcher-star-discovery-150p.html

Thanks.

Trying to find some reviews on it now...is it fairly new to the market?

Id go for the Celestron , the software for it is better plus you can buy a skyline thing for it and control it from your phone or tablet, they are indeed made by the same parent company Sytra , but I think the Celestron stuff is jus that better made .

There is a video on youtube of the 150p star discovery by astronomy and nature tv.

It gives an up close and informative overview of what it can do and what the mount can do and any negatives (I don't have any connections with the seller or preferences).

I have found youtube invaluable in helping me choose things, I have no stores nearby so the videos gave a size impression, as well as function.

There is a video on youtube of the 150p star discovery by astronomy and nature tv.

It gives an up close and informative overview of what it can do and what the mount can do and any negatives (I don't have any connections with the seller or preferences).

I have found youtube invaluable in helping me choose things, I have no stores nearby so the videos gave a size impression, as well as function.

Thanks.

I am so indecisive, I can see why I annoy the wife now!

I have hovered over the buy button on both of the above....plus yet another one!

I am now down to these two...

Sky-Watcher Star Discovery 150p

or

Celestron 31145 NexStar 130 SLT

:help:

Archived