Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

An Enjoyable Late Morning Session

Piero

The seeing was quite good and the transparency was acceptable time to time. I started with the usual combination of eyepieces: Nagler 7mm, Vixen 5mm, and Nagler 3.5mm. Two sun spots of moderate size were visible at West. They were both surrounded by distinct penumbrae. At centre-East, a faint chain of sun spots was detectable when the transparency improved. Granulation and faculae were visible time to time, transparency permitting. I decided to try my powermate 2.5x on the Sun. An advantage in using the powermate was that I could thread my green filter at the bottom of the barrel without having to change the filter each time I wanted to try a different magnification. With the powermate, I used my Panoptic 24mm, Nagler 13mm, and Nagler 7mm. First of all, I was extremely pleased by the performance of the powermate on the Sun. There was no sign of image degradation at all to my eye. The set PM+(24mm, 13mm, 7mm) is really a good addition to the set (7mm, 5mm, 3.5mm) with the additional benefit of not having to change the filter each time. Using my Pan 24mm+PM2.5x (37.5x, 1.6mm e.p.), I had one of my best view of the Sun for a couple of minutes of good seeing and transparency. Apart from a quite intense granulation, the solar area surrounding the two sun spots showed a considerable amount of patches on the surface. It was similar to granulation, but the 'blocks' were larger, at least the size of the sun spots. The borders of these patches were faint and slightly lighter. To make the image even more suggestive, a swallow flew in front of the Sun. The combination PM2.5x+13mm was also interesting. My Vixen 5mm SLV always surprises me for its overall quality and particularly on the Sun. The PM+13 (=5.2mm f.l.) was really a good match in terms of detail, apart from an increase in field of view and a modest increase in light scattering. Again, granulation and faculae were visible although less obvious than at lower magnifications. The PM2.5x+7mm also performed well despite of the short exit pupil (2.8mm). At 103x and 129x I could spot more details about the sun spot shapes.

Overall, I was very satisfied by this solar observation. :)

Date 16/01/2016
Time 11:00-13:30
Temperature 3C (NW 11 km/h)
Seeing 2 - Slight undulations
Transparency 4 - Partly clear
Telescopes Tele Vue 60 F6
Eyepieces Panoptic 24, Nagler 13, Nagler 7, Vixen 5 SLV, Nagler 3.5, PM2.5x
Magnifications: 37.5x, 51x, 69x, 72x, 103x, 129x
Filters Lunt Herschel Wedge, Green filter n.58

Nice report.

I had a look at the sun earlier today. I could see a couple of spots towards the right hand side. The higher one was just a spot and the lower one thought I could see a bit of structure (i.e. more than just a featureless spot) briefly. I couldn't see the spots/chain to the centre/east - I think my scope/kit and my ability to see isn't up to it!

Nice report.

I had a look at the sun earlier today. I could see a couple of spots towards the right hand side. The higher one was just a spot and the lower one thought I could see a bit of structure (i.e. more than just a featureless spot) briefly. I couldn't see the spots/chain to the centre/east - I think my scope/kit and my ability to see isn't up to it!

Thanks Paz. The chain near the centre was formed by tiny sun spots covering an area of about two times the size of the big spot near the border. They were faint and small though. I could not see them all the time, but just in the moment where the haze cleared up. :)

Nice work of it, Piero! Tempts me to get a solar filter at some point and broaden my horizons.

Thanks Kevin. I really enjoy watching the Sun and to be honest many times I am tempted to get a Daystar.. but then, its cost gives me a cold shower every time I think about! The general advise would be to have a look through one of those first, but, if I did, I believe that I would buy one straight away! :)

There is still quite a lot to learn with white light, as not many times transparency and seeing are good at the same time. A white light solar filter is relatively cheap and offers some pretty good views. 

I think it would work very well on your SW ED80. :) 

Archived