Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Diy solar filter

mik

Hello here is my new solar filter made with card tubes and Baader 5.0 film made to fit on my ZS66 ive overdone it a bit fully flocked inside now all i need is a bit of sun :sunny: now im to scared to use it any tips please.

Here are some pics

Mick.

center]6348_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

6349_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Looking good. :shocked: I was too tempted to buy a filter film for a long time, but there was a tiny voice in my other ear telling me I wouldn't really have the courage to look through the EP :cat:

Marius

Big tip is make a solar finder. There are various designs on the net and there was a recent thread on here. I've yet to make one but I know I need to. It seems ludicrous, but the sun is really had to find when you can't look at it.

Another tip is to take a towel out with you and use it as a shade/shroud to increase your dark adaption - I found that I was getting all kinds of ghost images when looking through the EP - some from intruding light and some from the residual image of the sun on my retina from taking a quick peek (see need for solar finder, above).

HTH, cheers, Martin

Up 'till you sort out a solar finder, use the 'scope's shadow to aim it. You should, if it's pointed at the sun, get a perfect circle (plus little sticky out bits) as a shadow of the 'scope. Next, look up the OTA without an eyepiece in and you'll get an idea where the sun is relative to the FOV. You obviously have the solar filter on at all times.

Make sure the finder is removed or at least has the caps on otherwise it'll set fire to your head / burn the crosshairs away / do some other damage.

BTW anybody done a filter for the finder?

Kaptain Klevtsov

Up 'till you sort out a solar finder, use the 'scope's shadow to aim it. You should, if it's pointed at the sun, get a perfect circle (plus little sticky out bits) as a shadow of the 'scope.

That's the method I use, but my scope has too many sticky out bits (Telrad, finderscope, camera mount) plus you have to get the thing you're casting the shadow on perfectly orthogonal to the direction of the sun, which ain't easy when your hand-holding a piece of card :shocked:

Thanks for the replys if i wet the towel my head won't burn :shocked::cat:

With regards to the finder i am going to use this scope as a dedicated solar scope when i get another scope for my lunar studies so i will see what i can knock up ive got plans for a peg type thingy on a white disc mounted on a bit of plastic angle strapped to the scope that may work ok

Mick.

BTW anybody done a filter for the finder?

Kaptain Klevtsov

I made one for my 8"cape and 8x50 finder using a objective cover from an old pair of bins as the basis of a ring. Actually looking fwd to trying the solar continuim at some point with the filter too,

Archived