Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Edition HEQ-5 AsroEQ Kit Full Upgrade

astro postman

Hi all

I have been very interested in upgrading to Tom Carpenters AstroEQ equipment but do not find myself technically confident. Could any one who has completed this upgrade please guide me  from the start, with step by step instruction on how to do this? Any information on specific motor types, pulleys, brackets, etc would be appreciated and where/how to affix to  mount. Also, wiring and cable connecting.

I have attached photo's of my mount.

Kind regards  for your time and I have attached photos below.

post-4980-0-22509300-1451921071_thumb.jppost-4980-0-61294400-1451921083_thumb.jppost-4980-0-80001500-1451921099_thumb.jppost-4980-0-47829600-1451921109_thumb.jppost-4980-0-06848800-1451921459_thumb.jppost-4980-0-03111100-1451921480_thumb.jp

Hi Beamer3.6m

Great reports on Mr Carpenters kit. Not really interested in controller as i will control via laptop. Maybe utilise the standard motors but they do not have a connection for RJ-11 cables. If anyone knows the wiring configuration to connect cables to wiring, that would be appreciated. Thanks

I can thoroughly recommend Tom's Astroeq, Last year I upgraded an EQ5 from basic to fully goto with eqmod. As far as I know you keep the standard motors with an HEQ5.

Unfortunately I can't help with adding ST4 to an HEQ5. As a last resort  try emailing Tom through his TCWorld site, however I'm sure a good search will get the info you need. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything to help.

Rob.

Hi again, have a look at this timtrott.co.uk/upgrading-skywatcher-heq5-synscan-goto/  (sorry you'll have to cut and paste, not too good with links).

It looks like you'll have to replace original motors with steppers (probably NEMA 17) the you can directly wire the motor cables to ST4 sockets which are also known as RJ11 connectors.

Whilst i use Tom's excellent piece of kit on my eq5 (not much use at the mo) have you thought about using HitechAstro EQDir along with eqmod (which you will need anyway with either option) as then you only need to purchase the cable from FLO to connect your laptop to your mount.

Edited by jonnopfc
  • Like 1

I can thoroughly recommend Tom's Astroeq, Last year I upgraded an EQ5 from basic to fully goto with eqmod. As far as I know you keep the standard motors with an HEQ5.

Unfortunately I can't help with adding ST4 to an HEQ5. As a last resort  try emailing Tom through his TCWorld site, however I'm sure a good search will get the info you need. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything to help.

Rob.

Thanks Rob

can you post some pics of your set up so i can see where/how the motors are attached to your scope and can you provide details of motor model and pulley/gear sizes so i can purchase the correct equipment?

Hi again, I can post pics but they wont be much use to you as I have the EQ5 and not the HEQ. If you google Astroeq and find Tom's site (TCWorld is probably the best) or go the forums page at Astroeq you should find the info you need.

As for using the Eqdir method it will work if you have the handset but you won't get anything like the slew speeds you get with the steppers and Astroeq.

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to go out side tonight , so I will ask do you have the Heq5 synscan upgrade kit before  i can take you thouth taking it apart.

R.A motor

DEC motor

control board & pcb

power cable

there is 2 or 3 more bit in the kit

hand control

power cable

hand control cable

new gears in the kit go go with the new motors

if you have all this I start the run down on Thursday.

• 5 years later...

I know this topic is extremely old but it’s been a project in process. Due to lockdown my interest in astronomy has been revived. My question is can I replace my stepper motors to speed up slewing? The original motors are too slow to slew and I would like some more speed. I want to keep the board and the gears but just change the motors. I think they maybe nena 17? Information on motor sizes, power and dimensions would be appreciated.  Is this possible?

The slew rate is hard coded into the handset  0-9 are the speed settings.  It's not possible to change the rate unless you do away with the handset, modify the mount to use belt drives with custom pulleys that have a closer ratio and use EQMOD to allow you to input the new ration so that whilst the slew rate is improved the tracking rates are adjusted to maintain sidereal rate.  

My claim to fame was following discussing some ten years ago I experimented converting my HEQ5 pro goto to belt drive (way before Rowan came along and made it commercial, or SW brought out factory fitted mounts with belt drive)

https://youtu.be/dh3F1xkdj98

The video above gives you some idea of the slew rate using 4:1 ratio (60t worm, 15t motor) - using the preset now built into EQMOD