Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ok I had to say this

souls33k3r

I am right now viewing Jupiter for the very first time with all the moons showing up in the alignment... Oh my God I'm super excited. Can see the Jupiter bands and make put the colour of them too. Mind you, I'm using a Televue 2.5x power mate.

I guess this right there proves that money well spent and I'll surely be enjoying this scope for life.

So Jupiter is just rising and I guess I don't want to move my scope to anything else right now.

Congratulations on your first view of Jupiter. A definite wow moment. I will just add, that the longer you view Jupiter, the more detail you will see. Especially as it rises higher in the sky and turbulence becomes less of a problem.

Ouch!!! I totally missed that because it was getting really cold outside and the missus kept on shouting wanting me to come back inside... And rightly so because I'm feeling sick and yet I spent the last 3hrs outside stargazing... #dedication

Quick few images taken with dslr. Like I said I have no experience in imaging and these are my first ever shots using dslr and a telescope. Cropped the Jupiter image using snapspeed on my note 4. Moon is untouched

post-47352-0-73632400-1451619839.jpeg

post-47352-0-21953000-1451619868_thumb.j

post-47352-0-77300300-1451619890_thumb.j

I've had my 16" Dob on Jupiter for the past hour - absolutely stunning and the best view I have ever had of the GRS,despite the fact that Jupiter is only about 4 or 5 degrees north of a half-lit Moon and I am looking at it through high, hazy clouds :huh:

It sure is, John. My weather forecast is still showing clear skies through to 8am so I've left the Dob out and might pop out for an early morning view before that huge cooked breakfast I've promised myself to kick off the January diet :lol:

I thought about getting the scope out as it was a truely amazing morning, went out with the bino's to check the comet Catalina which I found in seconds, being near Arcturus sure helped. I then checked the weather station which told me it was minus 14 so I went back to bed.

alan

Hahahaha yeah as soon as I brought my scope inside (because the temperature was rapidly dropping) I had a quick look outside again to have a quick peek at the Jupiter with naked eye but I couldn't because the clouds rolled in.

At least I had a good 3hrs session.

Mars was supposed to be rising behind the moon but the bitter cold and sore throat didn't let me stay a little longer.

Oh well, these bad boys aren't going anywhere. There will always be a second time.

Just made a purchase of an intervalometer so will be using the stacking option when I see these old boys in the sky later

Congratulations, Jupiter is a wonderful sight indeed and I particularly remember seeing the shadow of one of its moons on the surface for the first time (it was back in March during the same week as the eclipse back here on Earth so I told everyone I had seen two eclipses in one week).

I originally bought a scope because I wanted to see Saturns rings for myself but I find Jupiter more rewarding.

Happy viewing.

Archived