NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Gitzo tripod pillar extension

Stu

I picked up a very nice 'as new' Gitzo GT5542LS Series 5 tripod recently in order to give myself a very stable platform for grab and go use, which forms the main part of my observing currently.

I tried it out with my Giro-WR mount and all worked well, apart from issues of the scope hitting the tripod legs when trying to view near the zenith. I thought I would try to fit the homemade pillar I put together for my EQ6 tripod in order to overcome the problem.

Very simple to do, I sourced a long 3/8th UNC nut, along with some threaded rod and it all works very well.

7ffba5801cf756f9f3ad9ba7087dca2d.jpg

16bd81b3cdb148d8582b52c832fc6daa.jpg

51bf792da71d3d566ece4de9d9608a8e.jpg

a42b843d2e091e464bbb10d57736cad5.jpg

df6669a91a8134be0abad85376d7d865.jpg

The tripod is very stable, plus it extends pretty high if needed although most of the time I keep it lower and use an observing chair. The pillar gives the necessary height to avoid clashes, makes observing at the zenith more comfortable plus maintains rigidity at a very low cost.

deaa94cceb16a9c91bd82d6e48c92ae9.jpg

You  wont go far wrong with a 5 series Gitzo... Seems a waste using it for scopes though ;):)

They aren't immune to user error as I found out...  So I always put some weight on it before "trusting" it these days after a sickening crash and expensive breaking sounds behind me a few years ago....

You wont go far wrong with a 5 series Gitzo... Seems a waste using it for scopes though ;):)

They aren't immune to user error as I found out... So I always put some weight on it before "trusting" it these days after a sickening crash and expensive breaking sounds behind me a few years ago....

Maybe so Peter, but I needed something lightweight which was up to the job even at high mags so though I might as well go for the best I could.

Oh I agree that's why I bought that exact model...

Just watch those clamps... I got distracted while setting mine up and didn't check they were all snug so it's my own fault...

They can take a silly amount of weight when used properly...

Which clamps are you referring to Peter? Want to make sure I don't have the same problem!

The ones on the legs, they shouldn't be overtightened. Only taking a fraction of a turn to release and lock them.. what happened with me I was chatting to someone while extending the legs and I missed one...

They have   a "locking" mechanism on them to stop them slipping under load so the one leg slid down slowly until it tipped over with the 5DII 600/4L and 1.4X on it.. 

I had my back to it at the time - The noise was sickening , the convertor snapped in half and the rear lens mount sheared 2 of the fixing screws , the camera escaped - the repair bill wasn't too bad the biggest loss was the convertor...

As I am carrying mine over my shoulder a lot I have to clean the leg section quite often to make sure they stay oil/grease free - it's an easy job...

As I say now I always put my weight on the tripod after adjusting the legs before letting go of it!!

Just to re-iterate - It's all user error stupidity on my part  It's not a design issue with the tripod... They have  deservedly fine reputation...

Peter...

Looks ideal Stu, im still waiting to get some use out of the AZ4 i got a while back

I soon realised whilst using the AZ4 with my TAL100rs that a pillar extention was really required when looking at high elevation,unless you enjoyed scrabbling about on the ground!

A fellow TAL/AZ4  combo owner here uses an Orion 16" extension Pier (sorry can't remember who you are-please reveal yourself!),and I wonder if it's the same as the Skywatcher pier extention that FLO sells???

Very nice indeed Stu. I would though bear it in mind that carbon becomes brittle most notably when cold. Not so much an issue with your run of the mill stainless telescope tripods but freezing night time temperatures and fumbling around in the dark might pay to drop some glow in the dark tape on the tripod legs to avoid any miss haps.

Is that a rock climbers chalk bag I spy there? Is that doubling as a rock bag for adding rigidity ??

Archived