Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is this a silly Question DIY tracking

Stu1976j

Good afternoon everyone, I have what is probably a silly question but is there a way of making some kind of tracking mount for a dslr camera ?

Just to allow myself to do some slightly longer long exposure pictures. just its going to be a good couple months until I have the funds for a tracking mount, And I have good DIY skills. 

Again sorry if this is a silly question but worth a go :)

Yes there is, what you need is a Barn Door mount. Have a search in the DIY forum here, or on Google.

Basically two boards joined by a piano hinge with movement taken care of by means of a bow shaped threaded rod and electric motor or just a manual hand nut.

You polar align the hinge and the curved threaded bar takes care of the RA motion (I think).

I can't give specific links at the moment as things don't work properly on my phone, but I'm sure someone will be along with more info shortly.

I made mine for around £30.00

This website helps you with the maths of knowing for the threaded rod size you have bought how far away the hinge needs to be.

http://blarg.co.uk/astronomy/barn-door-tracker-calculator

For my design I used an m10 bolt this just meant my boards ended up being quite long and in hindsight a m6 or m8 would have been better.

I made one that does not need a tripod but will sit on a flat surface. I also chose a straight rod design, there are 4 main designs I chose the simplest to get going with.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/222131-my-barn-door-build/?fromsearch=1

I used it to capture comet Lovejoy. (I do have the parts to motorise it but it is still manual and if the weather ever gets a break I intend to use it again).

Have fun if you decide to make one.

Archived