Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3 mm eyepiece for skywatcher 200p

Ronin

I understand your point about having multiple eyepieces for planetary viewing, it would be certainly nice and it will happen someday.

To get a 7 I don't feel it's much of an improvement because it's 143 x instead of 125 for the 8mm, 18x of difference, i can live with this slight difference. The 6mm will give me 166x but i can reach it with my current zoom and barlow with quality limitations but still it's reachable. 

With my actual 10mm + barlow i can't reach a clear 200x that would be the next step after 166x. I am stuck at 166x right now.

That leaves the 8 and the 5.

With a good 8 I could use the barlow to reach a rare 250x + having a clear 125x but I already have a clear 125x vision right now.

That's where the 5mm gets interesting, It would provide maybe a sharp 200x which is an interesting improvement compare to 143x 7mm and 166x 6mm. In regard of what i saw until now, the bad atmospheric condition of my region, 200x seems to be the holly grail of the magnification to reach.

Even 250x seems to be out of the range. 

I would have this:

200p = 400x max (200mm x F1000mm)

24mm = 42
18mm = 55 Barlow x2 = 110
12mm = 83 Barlow x2 = 166 with medium quality
10mm = 100
8mm = 125
5mm = 200 Barlow 2x = 400

7mm = 143 Barlow 2x = 286 (Too close to 8mm)
6mm = 166 Barlow x2 = 332 (I can get a view using the zoom + the barlow to get 166x, not a good choice)
5mm = 200 Barlow x2 = 400
4mm = 250 Barlow x2 = 500
3mm = 333 Barlow x2 = 666 2mm = 500 Barlow x2 = 1000 (Too strong for my telescope)

Basically it would complete the sequence, that's what i think considering all the parameters. Including economy and keeping temporarily what i already have. Eventually a 6mm would fit well to give me 166x/332.

=============
ALAN64

This is my telescope mounted on equatorial. I don't have a motor attached to it right now, no electronics instead of some home made nichrome heating straps.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-eq5.html

=============

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it might be that one, but I wasn't sure.  If you only want to observe with it, and for the long term, you would only need to motorise the RA axis if you want to track an object and keep it centered within the eyepiece, automatically.  Such allows for long term study of an object, and to wait for those moments of good seeing when the image suddenly becomes tack-sharp.  The slow-motion cable would be fine for tweaking the declination axis on occasion, and preferred even among experienced users.

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-ra-motor-drive-for-eq5-with-multi-speed-handset.html

FLO carries it, too, but the entire kit is not shown... http://www.firstlightoptics.com/all-mounts-motors/single-axis-dc-motor-drive-for-eq5.html

Just something to consider in future.  Congratulations on a fine kit!

Alan thanks, I like this telescope very much so far, at first I was intimidated a little bit with the swaying but after a few time using it everything went fine. (Actually almost, I still have some difficulties watching at the zenith, some living room testing is still required.)

I was looking for a 8 inch or a 10 inch. I took this one because the 10 inch was simply too big and difficult to handle. I am really satisfied so far, my first telescope was a 130mm skywatcher with EQ3 which gave me a lot of satisfaction. I had to get a 8 inch to get a better view at the deep sky objects. (And it was a good choice)

A nice story, no regrets.

(:

Has for the motor, my salesman tried to sell me one but I preferred to add a nice transport bag instead. Still I keep the idea in mind for the motor, I might get one eventually. I still don't master polar alignment and swaying adjustment, i don't put much efforts with the polar alignment these days, I should do better.

Thanks for the links too.

I am looking at the eyepieces on Canadiantelescope.com they have much more choices then Amazon.

Has i see there, the prices seems to be on pair with the field of view.

60 degrees = 100$
68 degrees = 200$
70 ~ 82 = 300 to ∞

This is the link for all of them:

http://www.canadiantelescopes.com/accessories/eyepieces/2mm-to-5mm.html

Too many choices inside of there. If i had to take one around 180$, which one would be the best?

I see the Nagler Type 6 is 339.50 + tx and free shipping, 82 degrees of field of view, it must be extraordinary. But it's expensive. I could buy it but it would not be reasonable.

http://www.canadiantelescopes.com/accessories/eyepieces/2mm-to-5mm/televue-05-0mm-nagler-type-6-eyepiece-en6-05-0.html?___SID=U

The Baader Hyperion 5mm , 62 degrees and 200$, this one is more in my budget range.

http://www.canadiantelescopes.com/accessories/eyepieces/2mm-to-5mm/baader-hyperion-68-2454605.html?___SID=U

Or simply the X-Cel with 60 degrees.

http://www.canadiantelescopes.com/accessories/eyepieces/2mm-to-5mm/celestron-5-mm-x-cel-lx-series-eyepiece-93421.html?___SID=U

There are also many others too, to many to publish here, what would be the best optic for the price? Maybe in the 200$ range.

Thanks

Jetstream

I was thinking more about 68 degrees for the new piece...

I am also limited by the Canadian shops and what they sell to avoid complicated credit cart situations. Ill check tomorrow to see if I can spot any Stellarvue, Baader classic and Fujiyamas in the Canadian websites.

Thanks.

To supplement your limited availability of shops in your Northern neck-of-the-woods, here's a place in the US that has things - Antares included - that most people never knew existed for astronomy & tools thereof:

http://www.scopestuff.com/

Pack a lunch. You can get lost in there! Jim, the proprietor, is a genuinely nice person to do business with. He's great if you have questions about anything in the catacombs.

Enjoy -

Dave

Dave in Vermont,

Nice old fashioned HTML site, I like simple list websites like that.

I see a lot of things but not much eyepieces, I don't see a single 5mm actually. Jim has a 4.3mm Antares. To be totally honest it's very unlikely I will order in Texas USA for an ordinary eyepiece, most of the time I have credit card issues ordering in the US (They can't confirm my billing address) and it's complicated to get the correct price with shipping prices, only complications.

But the link is interesting for some rare accessories and i keep it.

Thanks.

Dave in Vermont,

Nice old fashioned HTML site, I like simple list websites like that.

I see a lot of things but not much eyepieces, I don't see a single 5mm actually. Jim has a 4.3mm Antares. To be totally honest it's very unlikely I will order in Texas USA for an ordinary eyepiece, most of the time I have credit card issues ordering in the US (They can't confirm my billing address) and it's complicated to get the correct price with shipping prices, only complications.

But the link is interesting for some rare accessories and i keep it.

Thanks.

There are a few VG places to order from in the States, Agena being one. No problem with differing addresses. BH Photo offers free shipping to Canada and also offer brokerage services where the  HST  is prepaid at the time of purchase.Both highly recommended.

Ill be honest now...

I looked at the various pieces I could find with the prices, the field of view and the eye relief. Definitely the X-Cel is standing above for the quality/price + it has a TON of positive reviews.  Some people are even saying it's a waste of money to get a Televue when you can pay a fraction of the price for the Chinese Celestron and get a good quality eyepiece.

Please, don't make an heart attack, I am not the one saying an X-Cel can compare to a Televue, i just read it, and i am not saying it's equal in quality either.

(Just thought talking about a TV vs X-Cel it would boost the emotional peaks for the finally of this thread with both anger or joy depending of the person ( Let's hope joy))

--> So it's the 5 mm Celestron X-Cel with 60 degrees and 16mm eye relief, I am going to watch the moon and the planets with that.

The Winner is the X-Cel 5mm

Go for the X-Cel LX and enjoy it :smiley:

If you get a chance to compare it with a Tele Vue Delite or a Delos or a Pentax XW someday, give it a go and then you can decide for yourself, which is always the best way  :smiley:

.......its the only way to test  :smiley:

I'm still very happy with my BSTs, but the allure of the  72° afov from the newer Delos, is a positive step.

Testing the 6mm and other close  to 6mm EP's I own, the images don't look to dissimilar from my point of view under my conditions, but the FOV is noticeable!

N3ptune:

I rather doubted Jim would help with your current quest. But for the rest of what's there, you may not find another source this side of Pluto to get some of the inventory!

I, too, have heard great words spoken about the X-Cel line of EP's. As for TeleVue® comparing, such is why I make a point of only suggesting TV to people for their Barlows and PowerMates. And only then with a personal disclaimer explaining one of my two reasons for trying to NOT recommend TV in all other suggestions: I don't wish to appear elitist. I mean c'mon - not ALL of us owns an oil-well field in Saudi Arabia! My other reason is rationalizing, by way of explanation, of the worth of 3X the cost v. a 10% improvement of overall quality of view.

Hopefully I haven't overtly offended anyone who loves the green-lettering in their cases. I do own several TeleVue® EP's, and will continue to plug their Barlows and PowerMates - and also mentioning that other brands, too, have truly stellar quality of view that subjectively match-up quite well.

<putting on helmet>

Dave

I don't own any oil wells, drive expensive cars or live in a huge mansion but, through the used market, I've owned many Tele Vue eyepieces. I've also owned and tested many other brands including Celestron X-Cel LX's and compared them with Tele Vue, Pentax and other premium brands. They are very nice eypieces but not of the quality of build or optical performance that brands such as Tele Vue or Pentax meet.

I have no problem at all endorsing Tele Vue eyepieces. I've never regretted a penny I've spent on them but I have regretted buying lesser brands from time to time.

Dave can keep his helmet on or take it off - his choice. Tele Vue have driven the standards in the field of eyepieces and others have followed and their eyepiece designs are the best performers in each niche they have chosen to occupy. They cost money because they are really, really good.

I'm not in the least bit offended of course and spent my 1st decade in the hobby using lower cost eyepieces and having a lot of enjoyment from them :smiley:

PS: The Tele Vue barlows and Powermates are about the best in the business too, just as Dave says.

Someday I might follow the same path has you in term of quality. Younger I had some car audio and kept adding quality parts over time, for me it was unacceptable to have low grade speakers and amplifiers to listen to music. (Still is)

After all, I had a 130mm reflector payed 450$ and 5 month after I decided to get a 1100$ 8 inches... I don't regret a single bit that choice.

I should wake up some day with the motivation to call my local club. So far i didnt had the motivation to make the social efforts. Because of that, i have limitations. That's my main problem.

It's not the end of the world either, i lead things by myself with the right information at my disposition. It's a success so far in regard of my satisfaction toward astronomy. (maybe not the fastest way to go but there is no stress at all)

--> Just like thermonuclear fusion for 1 part of efforts invested, i get 9 parts of free energy (satisfaction). (Or something close to that)

(: It's 2016 soon so i wish you a good new year and thanks for the advices again.

..... It's 2016 soon so i wish you a good new year and thanks for the advices again.

We have got to 2016 in the UK. Have a great 2016 yourself and lets hope for lots of clear skies :smiley:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks John (;

I have my eyepiece now and I have to say, 200x is a lot. I went out 3 times with the 5 mm and the maximum magnitude achievable was around 50x ~ 100x those 3 days.

Even 200x will be a rare event i think, It's definitely the stronger single piece ill ever buy for this telescope. Still I am glad to have it, it can easily resolve double stars like Cassiopeia êta.

It was beautiful even with the bad seeing.

vL9m6sH.jpg?1
LaiUHia.jpg?1

Thanks John (;

I have my eyepiece now and I have to say, 200x is a lot. I went out 3 times with the 5 mm and the maximum magnitude achievable was around 50x ~ 100x those 3 days.

Even 200x will be a rare event i think, It's definitely the stronger single piece ill ever buy for this telescope. Still I am glad to have it, it can easily resolve double stars like Cassiopeia êta.

It was beautiful even with the bad seeing.

vL9m6sH.jpg?1

LaiUHia.jpg?1

Looks nice. I like Celestron EP's, I've used enough of them lol. The X-Cel have a good reputation. What are they like weight-wise? They look like they might make a good bino pair.

I tried it for the first time today on the moon, it was fantastic, :hello2:  had a beautiful 200x sight, (sometime because of turbulence) but definitely better then the 24 - 8mm zoom with the barlow, there is no comparative between the 2 (has discussed previously here actually) . I even had a sharp image at 400x tonight of certain parts of the moon around the Jura mts. and also on Mare Humorum.

Today is a great day (((: it's the first time i look at the moon with a clear 200x and even clear 400x.

I am not sure what "weigth-wise" means in regard of the eyepiece but can say it's maybe a little bit heavier then my zoom or maybe equal? but not too heavy. I didn't has any difficulties with it or notice any anormal weight issues.

It's a great deal the X-cel 5mm, I spent at least 1 hours watching the 2 above places with it and the image was sharp and the field of view I have more then enough.

Really happy :icon_biggrin:

I tried it for the first time today on the moon, it was fantastic, :hello2:  had a beautiful 200x sight, (sometime because of turbulence) but definitely better then the 24 - 8mm zoom with the barlow, there is no comparative between the 2 (has discussed previously here actually) . I even had a sharp image at 400x tonight of certain parts of the moon around the Jura mts. and also on Mare Humorum.

Today is a great day (((: it's the first time i look at the moon with a clear 200x and even clear 400x.

I am not sure what "weigth-wise" means in regard of the eyepiece but can say it's maybe a little bit heavier then my zoom or maybe equal? but not too heavy. I didn't has any difficulties with it or notice any anormal weight issues.

It's a great deal the X-cel 5mm, I spent at least 1 hours watching the 2 above places with it and the image was sharp and the field of view I have more then enough.

Really happy :icon_biggrin:

Sounds like you had a great night. I just wondered about the weight as they look like they'd make a great bino pair. If they are 100 grammes a piece ostensibly it adds 200 grammes to the bino. That's the thing about bino's, you have to think in pairs of everything lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Hemm Mak, I didn't compare my pieces with other pieces so my opinion on weight may not be accurate, they seems to be heavy. I just got the 24mm and the 18mm a few days ago, the 24 is a little bit heavier then the 18.

They all provide a great and comfortable view, I like the 18mm especially (:

I will weight the pieces with my electronic scale and publish the results here later.. --> batteries for the scale are required first.

2 hours ago, N3ptune said:

Hemm Mak, I didn't compare my pieces with other pieces so my opinion on weight may not be accurate, they seems to be heavy. I just got the 24mm and the 18mm a few days ago, the 24 is a little bit heavier then the 18.

They all provide a great and comfortable view, I like the 18mm especially (:

I will weight the pieces with my electronic scale and publish the results here later.. --> batteries for the scale are required first.

OK cheers. They are used in bino's by some I believe but I think it all depends on the weight and size of the bino and how they are secured to the diagonal. Plus, for me, the weight could be problematical. Either way, they nice EP's.

Archived