Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Nebula Christmas Eve

Kyuzumaki

Took this last night with a 200p on a NEQ6 and a Nikon d3200. Stacked x10 15 sec exposures. 

post-47918-0-69146000-1451043841_thumb.j

I'm happy with how it turned out but am sure I should be able to make better use of the cameras resolution. The stars are not perfectly round so theres a bit of drift even with only 15 seconds exposures. Also the Hubble photos have lots of red and other colors where mine is just black. Any tips? I do have rgb filters but currently cameras adapter is directly onto the eyepiece so I cant put a filter in between or I dont know of a way that I can anyway. Constructive criticism welcome!

I have a bracket for a guidescope and a meade DSI with a Sky Star 80 that I got second hand but haven't set it up and don't know how to do it properly. If anyone already uses this setup and has some pointers that would be great.

That not bad at all , I was doing some setting up last night and any thing over 10s in HA push it over the top as the Moon was right on top of it.

try again when I Moon have B off , and I think you got more colour. Ps Stars not that bad Orion is very low in the sky and hard to keep round Stars with out guiding on mount.

Took this last night with a 200p on a NEQ6 and a Nikon d3200. Stacked x10 15 sec exposures. 

attachicon.gifOrion-cropped.jpg

I'm happy with how it turned out but am sure I should be able to make better use of the cameras resolution. The stars are not perfectly round so theres a bit of drift even with only 15 seconds exposures. Also the Hubble photos have lots of red and other colors where mine is just black. Any tips? I do have rgb filters but currently cameras adapter is directly onto the eyepiece so I cant put a filter in between or I dont know of a way that I can anyway. Constructive criticism welcome!

I have a bracket for a guidescope and a meade DSI with a Sky Star 80 that I got second hand but haven't set it up and don't know how to do it properly. If anyone already uses this setup and has some pointers that would be great.

Am I right in thinking your doing eyepiece projection?

If so thats why you have so much drift and your image is dark.

Depending on the eyepiece and the camera chip distance from the eyepiece, EP

increases the focal length and f ratio.

If your scope has a natural focal length of 1000mm and is f5, with a 10mm eyepiece set

at a chip distance of 55mm, your setup is now f22 at a focal length of 4500mm.

The image will be a lot darker than prime focus and whats more the further you put the camera

chip from the eyepiece or use a smaller f ratio eyepiece, makes it even worse,

I can't find the pixel size of this camera after a quick net search but it will be around 3 microns, I guess. This is really too small. Astrophotography is not like daytime photography when high pixel count (small pixel) chips are generally good and give high resolution. In AP the resolution is not limited by the pixel size but by the stability of the atmoshpere (the 'seeing') and by the guiding accuracy. You are trying to image with a resolution of about 0.6 arcseconds per pixel which is just about possible from an excellent site and using a very accurately autoguided mount. So in all honesty you are unlikely to be able to exploit the camera's resolution.

There is no need to use colour filters. You already have them in place with either a red, green or blue filter fixed over each pixel.

Not to worry. Learn about levels and curves. This is a good place to start. http://www.middlehillobservatory.co.uk/articles-primers/Levels%20and%20curves.htm

By the way, wasn't there an awful lot of moonlight when you did this? Colour AP really needs to be done outside the moonlit times.

Olly

Thanks for all the feedback. I went back and loaded up all the raw images and spent more time on them trying to get more out of it. Heres what I managed..

post-47918-0-36988000-1451309141_thumb.j

I only used two images to make this but was hopeing to use all 8 and stack them to reduce noise. Sadly registax and deep sky stacker cant seem to do it. I just get a ton more noise when I stack them. I think they are detecting the noise as stars.

Correct i'm using prime focus camera screwed direct onto the t-ring thread on 200p focuser.

I would really like to filter out those noisy green speckles have been searching around for a mac version of Hasta La Vista Green but have had no luck at all. Pixinsight trial key has not been sent to me yet to try that.

I would really like to filter out those noisy green speckles have been searching around for a mac version of Hasta La Vista Green but have had no luck at all. Pixinsight trial key has not been sent to me yet to try that.

Which photo editor do you use?

Most have a hue/saturation control. Choose a channel. Choose green and play with reducing its saturation and lightness. If there's a hue control it may pay to move it slightly towards yellow or blue.

Archived