Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Learning to Process

JohnSadlerAstro

Hi everyone,

This sounds bad, but I wondered if anyone could post some of their unprocessed DSO data that they don't mind me playing about with along with the processed version for comparison, for practicing the principles I've learnt from books of basic image processing? I've got some Deep-Sky imaging equipment, (1000d, 55-200mm lens and shutter release) coming for Christmas, but until then I've got no way of imaging DSOs, so I can't really practice, and I'd really like to get the hang of DSO image processing so that I don't waste any time/data on those precious clear nights and get a really good first image. I promise, I won't violate copyrights :police: , etc.,etc.,etc.......! :grin:  :grin:

John :smiley:

Hi,

Thanks for the link, the only problem is, I can't open the downloaded .htm files. Does anyone know how to do this?

John

Right click the link to the files and "save target as" they should then save as .FIT files. You can get FIT Liberator to open and convert them to .TIFF if you don't have any dedicated astro software

https://www.spacetelescope.org/projects/fits_liberator/

Hi,

Thanks for the link, the only problem is, I can't open the downloaded .htm files. Does anyone know how to do this?

John

The ".htm files" link takes you to a page where you can then download the FITS files :)

Or did you mean "FIT" files? These can be opened by a variety of image processing programs. FITS Liberator is free and (I think) will let you save the FIT file to a more common format like TIF.

Hi,

Thanks so much guys! I've got it all working, and I found some data on the site of M33, which is what I'm wanting to catch as my 1st image. The equipment couldn't be more different to what I'll be using, but the magnification/FOV and expo time were about what I'll be doing.

John

I notice you say that you've got a camera, lens and shutter release coming but do you have any way of tracking the night sky so you don't get star trails?

If not you may be disappointed that you can't take exposures beyond a couple of seconds before your stars start training and dso imaging really requires exposures and many minutes.

Edit: you'll more than likely need to invest in a light pollution filter too. They are expensive but we'll worth the money. I have an astronomik cls ccd clip in filter and it's one of the best purchases I've made.

Archived