Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon EOS 500D other !!!

Stu1976j

Evening all,

I was after a little advice please, I am getting a Canon EOS 500D for xmas which will be my new astrophotography toy.

I have already ordered a battery grip, remote shutter control, A M42 adaptor for some more affordable lenses I have got a 80mm - 200mm lense. and have a good solid tripod for it to sit on.

Now i would like to ask advice on A lenses to which would be the best choice for deeper space objects ?

And do you think there is any point in buying any filters ( i have a UV filter ) 

This is going to be a stand alone setup no telescope for the time being, as this is my starting point and plan to work my way up slowly once I have mastered the basics.

Any help and advice you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Nice present.

Will your tripod be static or tracking?

Hi the tripod I have is a static one but will be looking at getting a tracking in a couple months once I have put a few penny's aside. I just want to get the hang of the camera and the basics of capturing the images first. And then finding an affordable tracking system :)

Tracking is the way to go, the Skywatcher Star Adventurer does a very good job allowing 5 minute images when balance and Polar alignment are good....

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-star-adventurer/skywatcher-star-adventurer-astronomy-bundle.html

Thanks for the link, That looks like a good price for a smart bit of kit, if I can go for something like that maybe able to purchase sooner than I first thought. 

There are plenty of targets for AP on a static tripod one problem you might run into during the winter months is dew on the camera lens, an extended lens hood can help or maybe a diy heater.

Alan

I was looking at some of the dew heaters on ebay, but was not sure if it was worth the extra expense right now but maybe I should have a rethink on this matter. 

I made a lens shield from a black plastic garden pot some scissors and have since flocked the inside of it.

Being a static mount the best lens would be wider ones like 50mm and under you get a longer exposure before star trails.

Practice using DSS and perhaps something like GIMP, take loads of images, learn flats, darks, bias, learn to do a star trail image, lots to try with a static mount.

Yes I am going to make a home made dew shield mainly as I want to save my money and put it towards a half decent tracking mount for the camera to sit on, I am quite handy at pottering around in the garage and making what ever I need to. and enjoy it.

I had a 18mm - 50mm f3.5 - f5.6 by Sigma turned today (  which I got for £20 due to the auto focus not working but manual is fine, so this is going to be better than the M42 200mm. and regards the flats, darks, bias ect going to be some learning to do there. I have heard of people making light boxes, is this something that is needed with DSLR ??

Just frustrating having to wait to xmas for the camera to play with. but at least i have time to get stuff together and hopefully learn some of people who know more here.

Thanks happy-kat for you advice :)

There are a few things you could try.

a) Rip the body apart, and mod the camera. The increase in Ha sensitivity is obvious.

B) Build a DC-DC step down power supply using the 7808 chip. Loads of tutorials available online. You can then connect the DSLR direct to a 12V lead acid battery.

c) Get a wide angle lens like a 14mm, 22mm and a nice 70-200 F/2.8 :)

I made flats using my pc monitor with a white envelope over it to flatten any moire. Have a set of them.

That's a great idea, my mind always wants to think of the more complicated route, but that's a great and simple way :)

There are a few things you could try.

a) Rip the body apart, and mod the camera. The increase in Ha sensitivity is obvious.

B) Build a DC-DC step down power supply using the 7808 chip. Loads of tutorials available online. You can then connect the DSLR direct to a 12V lead acid battery.

c) Get a wide angle lens like a 14mm, 22mm and a nice 70-200 F/2.8 :)

Hi I wont be stripping my new eos500d down just yet, but must say after reading some threads on here I am tempted to purchase an older eos300 or equiv and have a play with when the skies are cloudy, I have done a few minor mods on a much older fuji fully automatic camera I used to play with. but only had a max exposure of 60 seconds and was not great to be honest. managed to improve a little  but limited. so if I can purchase an old eos then should be able to have a little fun :)

Archived