Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is this a good setup for deep sky and solar system photography?

I am looking for a good setup to use with my full frame DSLR D810, the camera is heavy obviously so the scope should be able to hold it and track the objects for long exposures smoothly.

I found this one   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SkyWatcher-SkyMax150-PRO-Telescope-EQ6-SynScan-Goto-Mount-10885-20854-UK-/131443356816?hash=item1e9aa27490:g:ZkQAAOSwEeFU9G95

Is that a good setup?

The EQ6 is good, but the 150 Mak is really suited to planetary imaging and for planetary imaging you do not need a DSLR - a webcam is a better option owing to the method that the image is built up.

For DSO's and a DSLR you really need a relatively short and fast scope - 80mm ED/APO refractor or the 130PDS reflector.

Without guiding you will need to get good poalr alignment to get say 60 a second exposure, more is harder.

For that money you could get the mount and two other telescopes.

But the most important part is the mount, optics come third place. And as mentioned above, there is no "do it all telescope". You need to think in terms of matching your focal length to your target. 1000mm+ for planetary and small galaxies (8" newt and up), and an 80mm frac or the 130pds (FL between 500 and 650mm) for the big stuff.

You might find planetary and DSO work to be very different beasts indeed! (both have different equipment and processing requirements)

If you want 'easy' (and be aware that deep sky imaging isn't easy) the key things are...

1) Short focal length means more tolerant guiding.

2) Fast F ratios mean shorter exposures. F5 is 4x faster than F10.

3) Refractors don't need collimating.

4) With full frame and the above in mind your shortlist is seriously short. It's a shortlist of one. Only the WO Star 71 or TS equivalent can cover full frame. Not even the Tak FSQ85 can do that. (Friends and I have tried several and they can't, I promise.)

I strongly recommend that you read Steve RIchards' Making Every Photon Count (FLO sell it) because 1) this game is highly counter intuitive and 2) butter wouldn't melt in the mouths of some telescope makers, notably some well heeled ones!

Alas, planetary and deep sky imaging are as unrelated as basketball and synchronized swimming. It really is that bad!

Olly

Ok I get that, what if I use a m43 camera? the sensor is X2 crop from full frame. That ETX 80 is f5 so that will help right? but hows the mount? will it hold a micro 4/3 camera and still be able to track? The problem is it doesnt come with a tripod but I might be able to use my photography tripod, its quite sturdy.

But the problem is that etx 80 is only 450mm, does that means I'll only get that focal length when a camera is mounted? or could I use some barlow lenses and get better magnifications?

If you want to start making great images quickly than something like a 80mm-100mm @ 500-600mm focal length refractor will get you there quicker than a scope that is 1500 or 2000mm focal length like a SCT since lower focal length isn't as critical for tracking accuracy.

On the other hand for planetary imaging a large aperture scope with a FL of 2000mm or greater is needed to get the planet large enough to see some details on the surface, but tracking for long exposure will be harder and demand a accurate mount. 

I started imaging using my 8" 2000mm SCT with a f6.3FR on a CGEM mount, and even-tough it has taken me longer to start getting nice round stars on long exposure then it would have on a smaller scope, it is possible and once cracked you have a tool that can do deep sky and planetary in one. When I got my 80mm f6.25 frac for wide field imaging (going down in focal length) I was coming out with decent images using it from the first time I set it up.

Archived