NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Princeton Tec "Fred" head-torch

BinocularSky

I think I may have acquired the ideal astronomer's head-torch: the Princeton Tec "Fred" (in "easier to find than camo or black if you accidentally drop it" yellow).

It has 4 modes:Low Red, High Red, Low White, High White.

The nice thing for us is that, from "off", it goes first to low red. Always.

Then, if you leave it for more than about a second, the next press of the switch will turn it off. Always.

(If you press the switch again within a second, it will go to high red, then the next press will turn it off. Always.)

The low red is sufficient to read charts by. It's almost exactly the same brightness as the red light on one of these, which are quite common in our community.

To get low white light (not that low), you have to hold the switch down for 2 seconds, then press it again quickly if you want high white (and it's pretty bright! - specified as 45 lm and I have no reason to believe that its overstated). As with red, if you leave it for more than a second, the next press turns it off. The nice thing about this is it makes it well-nigh impossible to accidentally get white light (but, I suppose, we must allow for the Clark's Law corrolary to Hanlon's Razor here :evil: ). The high white is easily bright enough to find a dropped eyepiece cap (black, 1.25") in an un-mown lawn.

Other nice things about it:

It's specified as water-resistant/splash-proof to IPX4, so a bit of dew shouldn't be too harsh on its innards.

Its supplied with Duracell batteries, not "the cheapest we could find at the time" ones. I haven't had it for long enough to test this, but they should last for 180 hrs on low red (cf 74 hrs on high white).

Enough adjustment in the headband to put it over a thick woolly hat without it being too tight.

Only thing its done wrong so far is break a thumb nail failing to open the battery-compartment. Then I read the instruction sheet. It says to open it with the supplied "tool" on the head-band adjuster buckle.

I got mine from the USA; I've been unable to find a UK retailer of it (although several do other Princeton Tec kit). It was $23.77 plus shipping.

Great review.

Your links to Clarke's Law and Hanlon's Razor are priceless!! I can't wait to share the quote from Dumas with a colleague or two in work - "I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because rogues sometimes rest." Love it.

Archived