NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

PHD2 Calibration: Guide Rate warning

Ishan Mair

After calibration, I get a message saying RA & Declination rate much different from expected rate. Have a look at this screen-shot.post-26619-0-65044200-1449758774_thumb.p

Calibration has always baffled me. If I set Calibration steps to 12 then it does about 7 or 8 steps when it calibrates. Thanks for your help.

looks like the mount moved twice as fast in each direction as it did last time ?  14 a-s/sec instead of 7.5 a-s/sec.  Did you change your guide speed in the mount to 1x instead of 0.5x for example ?

Anyway, won't matter, your RA and Dec guiding speeds are almost identical to each other, and looks nicely orthogonal, so you should get good guiding from this.

PHD nowadays can be a bit naggy about stuff that doesn't really matter, most of those type of warnings are ignorable.

My understanding is that it is best to aim for at least 15 steps in each axis during calibration, a parameter controlled by the calibration duration in milliseconds.  This differs depending upon the position in the sky you have chosen to image. So some experimentation is required.

Archived