Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

is that just being extremly lucky?

been waiting for tonight a clear spell at last, took everything outside just getting ready and surprise surprise starts raining, fed up and browned off I thought right I got to get my head around this and set up in the spare bedroom (if only to go through the motions of it). pointed the mount at north, stuck the scope on, attached the camera and fired up synscan. Ok alls well, started maxim took a few sample shots (havnt even begun to focus or anything) looked at the results and lo and behold I can see stars, not only that they looked ok too, went through the large display on maxim to check focus in continuous and i didnt need to focus at all, happy days, next i thought i wonder how long before trailing, I went to 90 secs and it was ok, so no polar aligning no star alignment nothing, how does that work then lol. I am ATM just taking 40 shots at 40 secs and see how it goes from there. my processing skills with maxim are cronic

Pointing north the stars don't me very fast (Polaris barely moves at all) so that will have helped.

You will however get quite a lot of field rotation it your alignment isn't good.

You will need to make sure your stacking software is set to remove rotation or it will fail to align the stars.

Skip the calibration if it is not working, just go ahead and stack the frames uncalibrated.

/Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Maxim, but I go with Dan: when all else fails; stack the uncalibrated light frames to see what is there. Create seperate master calibration frames and use these, one at a time.

Good luck

Ok i went back to it and yes its bad but the positives far outweigh the negatives at this stage. I got a photo yes its bad but its a photo. I am not worried about star trailing etc at this point because I know i can do that. In maxim i managed to stack them and also ticked add colour and square pixels, all i have done then is saved the stacked image as a jpeg (its not worth playing with untill i get a decent image). Im just happy Im getting somewhere with it. added the picpost-25141-0-62334600-1449725504_thumb.j . Hmmmm strange it was ok in maxim for some reason its gone all white and speckly back to maxim i go lol

Ok heres what I got, bear in mind taken through a bedroom window, its only about 20 images@ 40 secs stacked in maxim \i then converted to colour and opened it up in PS. I realise its nothing special but happy I acctually got something, all i need to do now is figure out how to get rid of those lines in it

post-25141-0-76976300-1449743327_thumb.j

i think it is colour conversion in Maxim, if I remember correctly (haven't used it for ages), and yes, I think unfortunately you do have to do them all one by one, which is silly.

There will be a setting somewhere on the colour conversion dialogue, which will give you options such as 'RGGB', 'GRGB' or whatever, and I suspect you may have the wrong one there at the moment judging by the purple line on the bottom.  Experiment with the others, it's easier with a daytime photo when the colours will be obv wrong

I think you should be able to do it in batch processing, I don't use that software though so couldn't say for sure.

I agree the colour is definitely out in that image, either Google your camera and find out what bayer pattern it uses or just use trial and error to figure it out.

A test image of something with red green and blue in it may help.

Once you get your images correctly debayered they should stack a lot better :)

/Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yeah, it's the 'convert colour' dialogue, here - http://www.cyanogen.com/help/maximdl/Convert_RGB.htm

take a daytime photo with some obvious colours in it and then try various settings - try all the settings in that 'Generic RGB' dropdown, and you can also try changing those X and Y offsets - try (0,0), (0,1), (1,0) and (1,1). 

I have to say though that I didn't get on with Maxim, found it hard to get a stretch I liked, and almost impossible to get a good colour balance, so I don't use it any more, bit of a costly mistake for me.  Pixinsight all the way for me now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived