NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How suitable is EQ5 for C9.25 for visual?

neural

Dear knowledgeable colleagues,

Haven't posted for a while owing to a busy few months (and the obvious white fluffy problems), though I did spend a very happy three hours under a suburban sky in New Zealand recently with 16x bins which I will try and get round to writing up here if I get a moment.

Thus far, my only scope has been an ED100. In an acute attack of aperture fever, I've decided that the best way of beating the clouds is to get a medium-sized SCT and have heard that the Celestron C9.25 is a good quality instrument for visual use (I don't do AP). I understand that my current mount, an EQ5, is underspecified for the C9.25, and I'll need to upgrade.

My question is: will my EQ5 be good enough to mount a C9.25 for the time being, until I can justify the outlay on a better-quality mount?

If it's visual and the planets then I think the 9.25 would be significantly better and I'd be inclined to put it on one of the new Alt-Eq mounts (the 5 or the 6) since alt-az mode is so much more convenient than EQ for visual.

Olly

Do you think so Olly? I've never tried alt-az (well, only for binoculars) but I've rarely cursed the EQ mount - only when looking at things close to the pole really.

I'm not familiar with the term Alt-Eq; do you mean something like the Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 GT? This would be well out of my current budget sadly :(  but maybe I should start saving the pennies!

I just acquired the AZ EQ6, well actually it's my second one but that's in another thread. I love the concept and simplicity of it. My SCT 9.25 AND my AA 102 sit side by side like my obsy visitors, in comfort. If I want to go EQ and image then it's quite easy. I just have to recheck the alt setting by drift in PHD2.

Do you think so Olly? I've never tried alt-az (well, only for binoculars) but I've rarely cursed the EQ mount - only when looking at things close to the pole really.

I'm not familiar with the term Alt-Eq; do you mean something like the Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 GT? This would be well out of my current budget sadly :(  but maybe I should start saving the pennies!

Sorry, I should have said AZEQ 5 or 6, of course. Yes, I love tracking Alt Az mounts for visual observing. The EP height remains more consistent, there is no meridian flip and the angle of the diagonal never needs changing. This means you are less likely to drop an EP as well! To my mind, amongst driven mounts, the sole purpose of the EQ is to avoid field rotation in imaging. The downside is that it transfers all kinds of contortionist rotations onto the observer instead!  :grin:

I'm perfectly happy undriven at low power but for high power planetary observing I vastly prefer to be tracking.

Olly

Sorry, I should have said AZEQ 5 or 6, of course. Yes, I love tracking Alt Az mounts for visual observing. The EP height remains more consistent, there is no meridian flip and the angle of the diagonal never needs changing. This means you are less likely to drop an EP as well! To my mind, amongst driven mounts, the sole purpose of the EQ is to avoid field rotation in imaging. The downside is that it transfers all kinds of contortionist rotations onto the observer instead!  :grin:

I'm perfectly happy undriven at low power but for high power planetary observing I vastly prefer to be tracking.

Olly

Really interesting comments, thanks Olly. The way you describe it, driven alt-az makes a lot of sense for visual. I will rethink. :)

Just to put it out there that I have a HEQ5 and 9.25 EdgeHD and they work well together. The biggest problem is balance. Mine is slightly off (in both axis) because I'm waiting for more weight to ship to me. The mount handles it very easily even out of balance. But I dont want to grind the gears so I'm currently not using either...except for the unusually clear night this last weekend. i couldnt resist.  I was viewing with a 6mm EP on the last full moon and the only noticeable movement was either from the bad seeing or me bumping the EP with my cheek. So I think a HEQ5 would work fine for you. 

Though I do agree that the Alt/Az version would be a lot easier to use for visual only. Mine is the older version that is just EQ. I tried using it manually and its a pain to move around at those FL. I was really glad for Goto and tracking. I would advise at minimum have a tracking mount at those FL...especially when you put high mag EPs on it. 

Archived