Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nikon d3200 Sky-Watcher 114

Hi all I'm new to this site so please bear with me. Image just bought a Sky-Watcher 114 for my son fir Christmas ani I've also got the fittings to use my nikon d3200 with it. My problem is that when I attach the camera I get no picture at all does any one know what I am doing wrong?

Sorry probably a newbie question but I am a newbie and want to get it right for my son on the day

Hi,

I have the same camera and you will need to take exposures of about 20 seconds using an ISO setting of 1600. I would recommend using a remote shutter release to avoid vibration when pressing the button. Any exposures over this time will get star trails.

Also, point the scope at a bright star (Vega, Capella etc) and use the liveview on the camera to get perfect focus. I use a very fine permanent marker and put a small line on the focuser at this position. That way you can swap back to the eyepiece and find an object and swap to the camera and set the focus again. It may be a bit inaccurate so take a few shots with tiny adjustments to focus.

Also check you have the tube cover removed ... I've put the cover back on during a session then forgotten to take it back off and started imaging for 20 minutes ... doh!

Cheers

There may be a limiting factor, not all telescopes will reach focus with a camera attached, the focuser runs out of travel before focus is reach this can be because the type of telescope the primary mirror it too far away.

You need to establish if you are running out of inward or outward focus travel.

The camera must be in manual mode.

There may be a limiting factor, not all telescopes will reach focus with a camera attached, the focuser runs out of travel before focus is reach this can be because the type of telescope the primary mirror it too far away.

You need to establish if you are running out of inward or outward focus travel.

The camera must be in manual mode.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived