NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ED doublet or Budget Triplet?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are lots of tests of the Equinox, but so many 80/480 triplets that it is difficult to be sure if any of the test reports corresponds to the TS Photoline.  Thy do both appear in the star tests here, http://www.teleskop-shop.at/testphotos/Refractor_color_test/Vega_testphotos_apochromats.jpg, with the lack of colour of the triplet clearly apparent.

There are lots of tests of the Equinox, but so many 80/480 triplets that it is difficult to be sure if any of the test reports corresponds to the TS Photoline.  Thy do both appear in the star tests here, http://www.teleskop-shop.at/testphotos/Refractor_color_test/Vega_testphotos_apochromats.jpg, with the lack of colour of the triplet clearly apparent.

Yeah, I think I'm sold on the TS triplet and £574 seems a good price for the ota + cnc rings :)

Louise

edit: It seems to be optically equivalent to the Orion ED80T CF but cheaper and a maybe even a little lighter. The Orion also gives quite good images on Astrobin :)

Another option, with free reducer.

Dave

http://www.telescope...on-fibre-1.html

I actually bought this scope from TelescopeHouse. ES are running this as a europe-wide offer. The 3" field flattener included in the offer is not correctly matched to the 80mm APO..it's intended for the bigger ES scopes. Even with the recommend spacer there is not enough in-travel on the focuser to get the FF to work correctly; the images with the FF are worse than without....

The correct flattener for the 80mm is the 2" offering that does not reduce the focal ratio. 

TH took the scope back and checked my conclusions independently and I got my money back . I think they have modified their advert on the website to reflect this. 

The scope itself is nice enough, very light, with next to no visual CA, but you might be on your own finding a combined FF and reducer that works properly.

In its place I bought a secondhand Pentax SDHF 75 which looks like being excellent. 

Regards, RL

I think it will have the space to be honest, im about to take delivery of a quickchange system for the Star71 (by converting the filterwheel to an EOS bayonet fitting), so I can switch between the CCD and DSLR in just a couple of minutes, and with no threads to undo. So I will have a better idea of just how much focuser travel is left when the DSLR is on. Even if its tight, there are low profile M48-EOS adaptors you can buy which have an optical length of just 1mm.

I guess you mean one of these, Rob? I have one of the standard 'in-line' drawers - saves the weight of a filter wheel! :)

Louise

Look forward to a first light report on this scope. Assuming the weather ever settles.

Thanks! So do I! The way the weather's been dunno when first light will be... This year... Next year...

Still, here's a nice lrgb M31 taken by another member - encourages me! (Though I won't be doing lrgb - only osc or narrowband).

Louise

Update - ordered the TS f6 triplet (+accessories) today :) Looks like a nice piece of kit with good colour correction. I'm excited to be finally getting a decent frac! :tongue: Must be better than an ST-80!

Louise

Tut! I somehow managed to select 'Deutsche Post' rather than DPD, d'oh. They won't change it which I think is a bit inflexible of them. Now I'll have to wait until next week for it - at least, lol :(

Louise

Took delivery of the TS Apo about 25 mins ago! Enormous 1m long box, lol. The nice Parcelforce guy kindly carried it up the stairs for me - +1 for them and I wasn't expecting a Saturday delivery. He said he was in the area anyway so thanks for that!

Anyway, a quick astro selfie (of the scope!):

post-33532-0-75378400-1449911465.jpg

It seems very solid (quite heavy!) and nicely made. Looking forward to trying it out :)

Louise

Nice package there, can you suggest why they say f/6 is fast for this type of scope?

I thought f/6 was middle ground! and practical, especially  for my Newtonian.

Hi

I don't know of many Apo's that are faster in their native state - I guess they are difficult to make. Of course, there are camera lenses that are faster. I'd class this TS Apo as a 'budget' scope...

Louise

Thanks Louise. The Sky-watcher ED80  APO  was/is in my budget! But the ideas keep changing, you know how it is? :smiley:

No thanks for the bad imminent weather heading up from your direction  :mad:  I too need to get out and test my newest eyepiece.

Enjoy the new scope :grin:

Archived