Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Totally befuddled!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 200P should come with a Moon filter included plus a couple of eyepieces (check on the filter when you buy the scope, I'm sure mine came with one). You will need to collimate it at some point, but a Cheshire eyepiece & collimating cap can be bought for about £25-30 (try Amazon as well as the established astro dealers).

To be honest, the Moon filter isn't really necessary unless the moon is more than 1/2 full, and they are available at pretty cheap prices too :)

Forget the moon filter for now.

Buy this:

1. 200p dob (you may never need to buy another scope)

2. Cheshire eyepiece or laser collimator. You can get each for about £20.

That's it.

To use it:

1. Get to location. The 200p is not heavy as it is simple a metal tube with a mirror in it.

2. Put scope on the ground.

3. Look through it.

The simplicity of these scopes is stunning. No faffing and no need to mess about with polar alignment and all that stuff.

Just enjoy the type of skies we can only wish for.

Simples.

Total spend say £299 with laser etc. It may be £99 over budget but very very worth it even if it means you have to save for a while.

Remember buy right buy once.

Never bothered with a Moon filter, but I do sometimes use the end cap with the bung removed if things are way too bright.

Olly touches on the exchange rates, there is a very good reason to think about this aspect. :)

If the OH needs to build a 'diable' then clearly a ride on lawnmower will be required to tow it, thus satisfying natural law and maintaining equilibrium in the Universe. ;)

Collimation should not be taken as a daunting issue. Once performed a couple of times it becomes second nature.

Best,

Rich..

I was advised that a moon filter was a "must have" accessory when starting so bought one, used it once and it's sat in my EP case ever since. If you do find the moon too bright when near full either where your sunglasses or up the magnification. 

BTW we're all jealous of your great skies.

Enjoy.

I recently bought a polarizing moon filter, and I find it a great piece of kit. Without it, I find the moon far too bright event at x143 (my current highest power), and without it I can't look at the moon for more than a couple of minutes, now I can spend a good session on the moon.

I've even used it on a low filter setting to enhance my view of Venus's phase, again being such a bright object, it just helped to remove some of the glare.

I wouldn't say it was a must have, but it has helped me. But again, personal preferences.

Archived