Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Aperture size for Solar Filter

I am planning to buy a sheet of mylar solar filter and make my own filter for a 120mm refractor. The lens cap however has a secondary opening approx. 60mm in diameter.

My question is whether I gain any significant benefit from a 120mm aperture filter, or whether I will get more or less the same results from the smaller aperture. Thanks everyone.

I'd go for full aperture. You'll be able to get in much closer and see finer detail if you go full aperture. There is quite a big difference in detail between 60mm and 120mm!

It's a little bit like viewing the moon with a 60mm refractor versus 120mm, much finer detail to see in the 120mm as you go higher up in power.

I still use a 60mm scope sometimes (solar and lunar) for portability, but if you have the 120mm out anyway, I'd go large! :laugh:

A4 is 210mm x 297mm , I'd make the holder to fit your dewshield OS diameter (which will be quite a bit bigger than 120mm) and the opening size to suit half the sheet , this will give you two filters from one sheet ... and a corner offcut will be big enough to make a small filter to fit your finderscope to save faffing about with extra "solarfinders" ...  :laugh:

Archived