Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Double stars

Hi all. So last time I was outs I saw for the first time the Ailbireo double. I have to say it was so beautiful, and it was at this point I realised I was missing out on a really amazing aspect of astronomy. Being honest I cannot believe I have been overlooking them.

So I started looking around at various webpages for further information and suddenly found myself in a mess of information. So I thought that, knowing what a resourceful bunch we are that maybe some of you may have some lists I can borrow. ( read steal for my own use).

For what its worth I am tiring of the bad weather ( usually new moon) or clear skies + full moon spoiling things so I am looking at options and this is definitely one to go for to get me into the fresh air. I am also looking at binoviewing on the moon but thats another thread.

Anybody help?

Steve

Steve,

Have a look at Mark S Baines web site at www.linnhe.net 

Second item down - Linnhe Observatory - Downloads.  The constellation observation guide is really helpful in getting an idea on what to look for in each constellation, and I find myself frequently referring to it. 

Although a copyright statement at top of home page, he states "A few documents I use which you may find useful - Constellation Observation Guide, expanded NGC/IC 2000.0 Catalogue." 

Enjoy perusing through his double star selections.

Les

Hi Steve:

Welcome to the wonderful universe of double, triple, quadruple..... ad infinitum likely - Stars.

Here's a few links. First up is Star-Splitters. Loads of information on doubles and too many more things to list:

https://bestdoubles.wordpress.com/

Next up is the granddaddy of data out of the US Naval Observatory's Washington Double Star Catalog - the WDS:

http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astrometry/optical-IR-prod/wds/WDS

Finally here's a trove of data on stars themselves. After all, most stars we see are part of binary-systems, which are more common than singles such as our offbeat Sun:

http://stars.astro.illinois.edu/sow/sowlist.html

That should keep you off the streets at night for awhile.

Enjoy!

Dave

Cheers guys, I knew you would come up with the goods. Think a desperate folder is needed for astro like I noe have such a wealth of them. Cheers

Dteve

That should be seperate and Steve. Tablets are not that easy to type on :-)

...and it was at this point I realised I was missing out on a really amazing aspect of astronomy. Being honest I cannot believe I have been overlooking them.

Steve

Spot on. I had the same realisation about one week ago.

Whoops, posted early due to clumsy typing! Was going to say that I resorted to double stars when the moon was too bright for DSOs. Wasn't expecting much but had a great night. Was quite taken at just how colourful everything was. The list I used was the default Diuble Star tick list in Sky Safari.

• 2 months later...

Archived