How do I fix this????

Hey guys

I've stacked my first ever image, it's only 10 frames of the Hercules Cluster. The stacked image has no colour and is really bright. I've been fiddling with the balances on DSS but I can't figure out how to get it right.

Here's a print screen of what I'm looking at, now I'm not expecting you to go through step by step or anything I literally just need a nudge in the right direction!

http://postimg.org/image/b8efxnf3t/

Cheers

Hmmmm the sliders only seem to brighten or darken the image. There's 3 sliders and if I move the middle ones (linked) towards the darker end it looks better but it looks like it black and white. The original images had colour. Do you think it has anything to do with my ISO being at 1600?

http://postimg.org/image/tm9pyuok3/

I would say you are losing contrast because your background is too bright. Go to the luminance tab and try to move the curve in the bottom plot to the right. Move it so that the steepest part of the curve occurs in the middle of the histogram peaks. Alter the curve using the darkness, mid tone and highlights controls. Hope this helps.  :smiley:  :smiley:

Your still a bit dark.

The steepest part of the curve should run up the centre of the bottom third of the RGB.

You will most likely find the colour balance will be off and needs fixing in post.

Basically DSS just allows a quick and dirty image.

Here is where I try to get the curve.

dxxcurve.jpg

The saved image with adjustments, btw you would normally save with adjustments embedded or use the Autosave tif file.

My preference is to do intial processing with the Autosave tif in PixInsight.

dsscurve1.jpg

If you are still struggling to get colour check your background calibration settings in the stacking options. If you use RGB background calibration it tends to kill the colours, you can use per channel background calibration to avoid this.

/Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's the final image... It's not perfect but it is my first real bash at using DSS. Fingers crossed it will be clear tonight so I will be able to have another go! Really appreciate all your advice, this thread is now my reference guide!

http://postimg.org/image/h75ktdqdv/

That looks really good. As someone else has mentioned, DSS is only really 'stacking' software and once you have got a reasonable image in it, you open it up in other graphics software and the real processing and discovery begins! There are some good free downloads, including Gimp, that can really transform your images. I tend to just open the autosave file and process that. Tim. 

I've got photoshop but even then I'm still learning how to process. Had a good session last night got about 4 hours observing before the fog forced me to call it a night. Took 30 frames of Caldwell 30 which is my first attempt at stacking a galaxy pic, I view from a balcony most nights so my view is West/South West.

Archived