NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bye bye sodium...hello clouds and rain

darthvader

So, the new streetlamps have started to be installed in the village and I've got to say, so far so good.

The new LED's can hardly be seen from a even a short distance away (from the side or behind the lamp) which is a great improvement on the old sodium lamps.

They've currently only replaced about 6, probably another 40 to do but the escaping light is a lot less than I thought it would be.

Fortunately, part of the village is in a conservation area so they have had to keep the light heights relatively low (5 metres I think) and will also paint them black. Oh, and they are dimmed twice, although I can't remember at what times (possibly 9th and 12pm)

and of course now the work is underway the weather has taken a turn for the worse..

Our council (South Gloucester) have replaced our street lights with LEDs recently and are applying the following policy

Sunset + 15 mins] to 00:00 AM 75% output

00:00 AM to 01:00 AM 50% output

01:00 AM to 05:00 AM 0% outout - i.e. Lights off

05:00 AM to [sunrise - 15mins) 75% output

So if you're prepared to stay up a bit later (and its not cloudy) then you get reasonably darker local conditions which do improve the seeing somewhat.

These are national guidelines and there is even a British Standard for street lighting which councils are encouraged to adopt an it takes dimming and switching off into account, so its possible other councils will follow soon.

It's a very method no

Our council (South Gloucester) have replaced our street lights with LEDs recently and are applying the following policy

Sunset + 15 mins] to 00:00 AM 75% output

00:00 AM to 01:00 AM 50% output

01:00 AM to 05:00 AM 0% outout - i.e. Lights off

05:00 AM to [sunrise - 15mins) 75% output

So if you're prepared to stay up a bit later (and its not cloudy) then you get reasonably darker local conditions which do improve the seeing somewhat.

These are national guidelines and there is even a British Standard for street lighting which councils are encouraged to adopt an it takes dimming and switching off into account, so its possible other councils will follow soon.

It's a nice setup you have. I need introduce this locally as well.

Archived