NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dob in an Ob!

recceranger

Guys,

Planning to build a observatory in the yard. Scratching head over instrument to house inside. After the observatory is paid for it leaves around 2 - 3K.

it feasible to House a SW 14" Goto Dob into a 2.7m full Height dome? If yes what as accessories would you recommend.

The obs is from Pulsar Ltd

I don't think you can easily put a Dob in a dome because the Dob rotates around an altitude axis that is very low to the ground.

That means it would have to look up to see out of the opening so you would have no view of anything near the horizon.

Putting it another way, consider a Dob pointing just above the horizon; how high off the ground is the top end?

I would have thought that any dome or shed would be a bonus for erradicating some light pollution, I just dont have the perfect location for one just now, preferring my mobile obsy instead, a simple utility tent!

The only issue to overcome under a dome would be to raise the scope or lower the walls in a permanent obsy? I would like to try a refractor from within a hide, at least the eyepiece is at the right end for the task?

Some good points - should have considered low angle viewing! I have thought about mounting a CPC 11" on a pier, the Dob just popped into my head.

Always fancied the idea of a 14" scope but the cost of SCT's etc is ginormous! The Dob with Goto is attainable

When I had my dob in the obsy I made a stand to to put the base on to raise the height to improve the horizon, but I also found that I needed to raise the floor level too. That was easily accomplished with some basic woodwork. The result was improved wind and light pollution protection, plus much reduced setting up time.

If you are planning to design the obs then you can arrange it to be suitable for any 'scope. Go to your planned site and check the horizon for obstructions. That will define whether you can have a wall with a rotating bit on top or not. I have just completed my obs for my dob and the surrounding houses and fences allowed me to have a fixed wall 3' ( 0.9M) high. Here's a pic taken during it's construction:

post-7974-0-16965300-1445608796.jpg

Nigel

Archived