Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

differences in dobsonians

so recently i was looking at some dobsonian telescopes and i realized that 12 inch telescopes range alot! they go from 700 to around 1500! is there any large difference in these? im thinking it has something to do with the mirror but i can never be too sure.

It's usually the equipment levels that are responsible for the price difference in mass production scopes - often the optics are the same !

The GOTO or Push To option on mounts adds quite a lot to the price.

Can you give the brands and models of the scopes you have been looking at so more specific comparison comments can be made ?

It's usually the equipment levels that are responsible for the price difference in mass production scopes - often the optics are the same !

The GOTO or Push To option on mounts adds quite a lot to the price.

Can you give the brands and models of the scopes you have been looking at so more specific comparison comments can be made ?

orion skyquest, meade lightbridge, orion 10023, skywatcher, and zhumell z12

I was recently part of a search through the different Dobs in the 8-inch aperture. It was to see which one would need the least upgrading to be ready for one to use with the least hassle. The Zhummel won hands' down for the reason that it came with a 8 X 50mm RACI finder-scope (a real necessity if you don't wish to take up Yoga), a 2-inch dual-speed Crayford focuser, and a cooling-fan. I just checked out the 12-inch, and the price was only $699 including shipping! Wow! It even comes with 2 eyepieces and a laser-collimator.

But this is for no goto, or digital setting-circles. If this would do you, it is also in stock out in Nebraska (I see you're in New York). Here's a link:

http://www.telescopes.com/products/zhumell-z12-deluxe-dobsonian-reflector-telescope

Anyone want the pdf. manual?

http://192.155.246.46/~atlasecom/atlasmedia/PDF/ZHUE025.pdf

This thing makes me wish I had even a small excuse to get another 12" scope. Alas - I have none.

Clear skies -

Dave

A 12" scope will provide a lot of enjoyment over the years so yes it is worth finding out why they are priced so differently. For me, a dobsonian is a simple tool, one which can be pointed anywhere easily and setup easily. GOTO devices on a dob add to the cost and for me aren't what a ALT/AZ dobsonian should be about. The orion skyquest has some kind of electronic device on it but I have never worked out whether it is full GOTO or not! This is why it is more expensive. About £500 more than a standard Skywatcher version.

There are also different prices between a solid body and a truss tube body dobsonian. For example, the truss version of the 12" skywatcher is about £150 more. The meade version is more expensive but has a more substantial truss design so should be sturdier. But in terms of optics I doubt they are any better or worse than skywatcher's offering. If you were in the UK I'd suggest a serious look at a Revelation (GSO) 12" from Telescope House as it is a lot cheaper than other versions and seems to be a good scope. But you can never go wrong with Skywatcher.

but Dave, if the Meade is on loan to a friend, doesn't that mean you have a hole in your line up?   :evil:

michael

My accountant will be dropping by to chat with you. His name is Thor.....

Regards my having a hole in my line up? Why do you think I loaned one out?

How many of those mushrooms did you take the other night?

Dave :eek::p

My accountant will be dropping by to chat with you. His name is Thor.....

Regards my having a hole in my line up? Why do you think I loaned one out?

How many of those mushrooms did you take the other night?

Dave :eek::p

Not enough methinks

orion skyquest, meade lightbridge, orion 10023, skywatcher, and zhumell z12

The Orion Skyquest, Meade Lightbridge and Zhumell are made by GSO and all have the same optics and mirror cells in them.

The Orion 10023 Skyquest XX12i and the Skywatcher are made by Synta and share the same optics / mirror cells.

All around about the same optically although my preference tends towards Skywatcher / Synta optically, from the scopes I've owned.

The price differences will be down to equipment levels / accessories rather than optical.

Archived