NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Filter Wheels which one

Tinker1947

FLO have a couple of motorized filter wheels, Atik and Starlight Xpress discounting the cost is one better than the other, the chosen one will be used with a 250P-DS, Moonlite CR2, Baader CC, Atik 414EX, likely 36mm Filters, i use a ST-80/Lodestar as a guide scope so a OAG won't be needed.....anybody used one or both....

I have the starlight version and my friend has the atik version, atik one is slightly easier to allow you to rotate the camera but you also need a power cable as well as the USB cable, so I went for the starlight one, works off just the USB cable so one less cable to worry about, is a lot cheaper than the atik one and does a super job, I'd highly recommend one.

I use the Starlight Express one.  It has worked perfectly for three years, and as red dwalf above has pointed out, it needs no power supply - just the USB cable.  I use it with the SX OAG which is designed to fit directly, and Lodestar camera - never failed to find a star yet.  I use 36mm filters to reduce vignetting.  But I was disappointed to find that the Atik capture software (Artemis) supplied with my Atik camera only caters for the Atik filter wheel.  Doesn't matter to me because I use the (free) Maxpilote capture software, which I suggest is anyway better than Artemis.

Chris

I have no experience of either and so won't offer an opinion in that respect, but what I will say is this ...........

When I had some issues a few years ago, they would have been easier to work with and diagnose had I been using all Atik or all SX equipment for example. So, if you have an Atik camera, I would look at keeping with Atik and going for a FW from them as well. I'm not saying that you will get issues (I was unlucky) but I think the problem would have been easier to diagnose had I had the same manufacturer in the camera and FW.

I have the Atik wheel which I use in combination with a 490EX, not much to say about it because it has worked flawlessly over the past 2 years. It is very well made (unlike earlier incarnations) with an excellent bearing system to ensure filters are positioned accurately. I was not too happy about the motor being left uncovered though, not with the dripping dew we sometimes get around here, so I made a cover for it to keep moisture out. Prior to the Atik I had an Xagyl wheel which, although it certainly worked, made horrible rattling noises! This is apparently quite normal (it uses a small worm drive and the nylon worm is quite loose on its shaft) but nevertheless it didn't inspire confidence.

ChrisH

I have the Atik 414ex and use 1.25 filters in the Starlight FW. Works perfectly for me and the USB power is already noted. I have also had a go at sticking it on my 250px tube and that also worked without any vingettjng I could see on my test subs, so make of that what you will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the input, i will get the Moonlite now motorized working with a autofocus program, then go for the filter wheel, its going to be 36mm filters, and i fancy the Atik as i use there CCD software with the 414EX so unless the autofocuser throws up something software wise it will be in the post maybe next week...

I agree with Sara, keep it all in-house. I use both Atik and SX side by side and both have proved reliable. The ability to position the wheel where you like and then rotate the camera fully is a big Atik bonus, though, because you can position the wheel on the top side of the scope when the scope has passed the meridian, so delaying the need for a flip. The wheel is usually the first thing to collide when it's on the low side after the meridian.

One thing to watch: the Atik sequencer settings over-ride the capture window settings for exposure time and bin mode but do not cancel the sub frame selector if it is in use!

So do be careful to cancel the focusing sub frame before launching you sequence or you'll get a whole run of tiny sub frames. (Not that I've ever been so silly, of course. :confused:  Ahem.)

Olly

Archived