Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

photo processing software options?

asset189

I currently cannot afford the likes Photoshop, does any one use a free photo processing package and if so what's the best for all round photography that can for instance stack / combine several afocal images ? The ability to work with layers would also be good having read last month's sky at night mag piece on this subject. Any advice or opinions much appreciated ( only using a mirrorless system camera) .one final thought are online photo editors worth considering ? Thanks

Gimp is free and is similar to PS.

DSS is free.

Autostakert is free.

PIPP is free.

Registax is free.

and for day time use I use DXO Pro although not free, they do sometimes offer complete earlier versions of the software totally foc, its a case of watching their website.

Gimp is great but be aware that the standard 2.8 release is only 8 bit per channel so will severely restrict astro image processing.

You can get a beta of 2.9 from www.darkrefraction.com or www.partha.com.

2.9 supports 16 bits per channel so won't destroy your hard won data when you start stretching it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived